Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Seatbelt mechanism a bit weird? Or just Volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt mechanism a bit weird? Or just Volvo?

Hi,

I recently bought a 2006 V70 2.5T AWD. 40,000 miles. The local Volvo dealership says the seatbelts are ok, but given the other level of service they've demonstrated so far, they could very well be brushing me off.

The seatbelt release button seems worn. In other cars I've had, when you push the button, there's a very positive click, and out pops your seatbelt.

On my Volvo, you have to press directly in the middle of the release button and even wiggle it back and forth a bit to get it to release fully. If you don't do that, the clasp kind of half-releases. There's a click, and the belt clip pops out just a little bit, but is still held there by something. You can then push the clip back in like you were buckling up, and you can feel it engage properly.

What I'm worried about is that in fumbling for a coffee or in a pocket, or just by accident, I (or my wife) will half-release the seatbelt and not know it since it still stays semi-clipped. Then, if we're in an accident, the seatbelt won't be fully engaged.

Can someone comment on this? Both the front seats' belts are like this.

Thanks,

Vince

Last edited by vfgilber; 11-20-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Are the rear seatbelts OK? I have an S40 so take this FWIW, but my seatbelt does not have this type of issue.

Sounds like the dealer is brushing you off...I'd insist on a repair/replacement of the mechanism and be ready to fight to corporate if you have to. Then again, I'm picky about seat belts...given that they are an important safety feature and all...

Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by hammer1234
Are the rear seatbelts OK? I have an S40 so take this FWIW, but my seatbelt does not have this type of issue.

Sounds like the dealer is brushing you off...I'd insist on a repair/replacement of the mechanism and be ready to fight to corporate if you have to. Then again, I'm picky about seat belts...given that they are an important safety feature and all...
And especially given that Volvo is "known" for safety. Too bad dealers are more into $afety instead.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hammer1234

The rears are fine. The passenger seat is moderate. The driver's seat is the worst.

I think part of it is that the Volvo/Land Rover/Jaguar dealership I bought it from is WAY to busy. Their service department is overwhelmed and the service suffers. I have 5 months until the warranty is up and I will be following up.