Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo XC70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Default Rear differential problem?

Any tips on this would help. Our family is expanding and our beloved S-70 is getting cramped. I looked at an 01 Volvo XC70 w/ third row seat yesterday at an estate sale. Great shape, a few dings but no big deal. 122k and runs great. The only problem I noticed is when accelerating at any speed, I can hear a slightly rough sound isolated in the rear, possibly differential. It's not loud or obnoxious, it's just there. Let off gas and silence. I know these had some transmission problems, but the transmission is super responsive. Tires are new all around, so I am not sure if this sounds like differential or somthing worse. Any ideas or suggestions woul be great
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
1993 Volvo 245

Hate Facebook

Check the differential fluid. If you stick your finger in there and get nothing, It could be that making noise. Thats what I ran into, No fluid = bad sound.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM

i have the same issue with mine i dont know but it sounds kind of like this
is there a way to disable the axel/"half shafts" from the haldex? i cannot afford to have the awd fixed but i want to prevent further damage to the haldex unit. transmission shifts fine still
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Tags
diferential, diff, differential, end, failure, gas, noise, plane, problem, problems, rear, semi, sounds, volvo, xc70, xc90