Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation DVD Error, Nav System Says it Cannot Read DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation DVD Error, Nav System Says it Cannot Read DVD

This exact same thing happened to me as what happened to the guy in the post below with his 2002 S80. I disconnected the battery from my 2004 XC90 and when I reconnected it the Navigation System could not read the DVD.

Please read this post:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ead-dvd-25221/

Has this happened to anyone else with an XC90?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM

I have a 2007 XC90 and have similar issues with the navigation system. The screen comes up and it reads "Please insert the disk." Yesterday the battery completely died since the error message stays on and the screen up even after shutting the car. I checked under the seat, but there is not button anywhere for me to check.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM

This is a simple fix .The door under driver seat has popped open just simply close it and error will go away.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 PM

Just to clarify your simple fix is for the "Please insert the disk." error for xc90gal who it seems could not see that there is door that if bumped can slide open. The "can not read disk" error that occurs after I disconnected the battery is different.

From the research I have done, I do believe what the dealer told ram1728 (you need to buy an upgraded DVD) in the post I linked. Somewhere along the line in one of Volvo software updates, they introduced a bug or something that confuses the old NAV DVD's. This is certainly possible since the "secret" menu shows the system is functioning, but this is the original 2004 DVD that I am using.

I was having serious electrical problems with the XC90 so made sure to completely discharge the system and thus make sure all the CEM and its subnets rebooted. The side effect was the NAV-DVD player stopped working. This car has cost me so much recently - had to replace the CEM (water damage) and the DIM (thank GOD I found these guys Xemodex Inc. Technology Improved so I only had to pay $400 instead of $1200 the stealership wanted). Given that the turbo chargers had to be replaced last year and that the transmission that was replaced at 20k miles now has 80k miles on it, I am considering finally scraping this poorly designed vehicle, thus I have put off buying a new DVD.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Smile

I had same problem with my 2004 xc and it is not realy a door but a slide on the black box under the seat . if it is up it gives you error and navigation pops up . that is what my car did and i used Just Answer and they gave me solution which worked fine. Hope this helps I have my own issues with my Xc90 not starting after a routine timing belt issue,but I can say My wife and I both love driving this car.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Default Navigation system error message

Originally Posted by xc90gal
I have a 2007 XC90 and have similar issues with the navigation system. The screen comes up and it reads "Please insert the disk." Yesterday the battery completely died since the error message stays on and the screen up even after shutting the car. I checked under the seat, but there is not button anywhere for me to check.
I have had this exact problem for almost a year. About a third of the time the nav system (2008 XC90 V8) comes on and then it works fine. The rest of the time the "Please insert the disc" message comes on at engine startup and then the backlit screen stays on with the error message displayed when I shut the vehicle off. After a few days of this my battery is too dead to start the vehicle and I have to put it on a charger overnight. I have found at times that if I open the nav deck door, shut the vehicle off for a while results in the "please shut the navigation deck door" message. When I do that, the nav system comes on and works fine. I have tried disconnecting one to all of the wiring plugs that go into the back of the nav deck. One of them disables the radio, so I can't have that, and I have no idea what any of the other plugs do. I have two of them unplugged now and everything seems to work, but I'd hate to find out that they enable or disable any safety or lighting equipment. By the way, my AM radio band hasn't worked in over a year. I am at my wits end with this vehicle.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dobes49
I have had this exact problem for almost a year. About a third of the time the nav system (2008 XC90 V8) comes on and then it works fine. The rest of the time the "Please insert the disc" message comes on at engine startup and then the backlit screen stays on with the error message displayed when I shut the vehicle off. After a few days of this my battery is too dead to start the vehicle and I have to put it on a charger overnight. I have found at times that if I open the nav deck door, shut the vehicle off for a while results in the "please shut the navigation deck door" message. When I do that, the nav system comes on and works fine. I have tried disconnecting one to all of the wiring plugs that go into the back of the nav deck. One of them disables the radio, so I can't have that, and I have no idea what any of the other plugs do. I have two of them unplugged now and everything seems to work, but I'd hate to find out that they enable or disable any safety or lighting equipment. By the way, my AM radio band hasn't worked in over a year. I am at my wits end with this vehicle.
There is a bulletin for an update disc to fix the problem with the screen.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Thanks. I hope a dealer can do this without telling me I need a new system for one to two thousand dollars. By the way, in my post I realize that I said I have two of the plugs unplugged and that everything seems to work - I meant everything except for the nav system.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:18 PM

I am taking my XC90 in to the dealer on Friday. Do you know how to find the "bulletin for an update disc" ? When I mentioned this to the dealer, he didn't seem to be aware of such a bulletin. He immediately said it might need a new navigation deck. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If you talked to an advisor or appointment center person, they wouldn't have a clue about the bulletin. The tech should have no problem finding it. Right now, I'm on my cell which doesn't work with the bulletin database I have to log in to to look it up.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 AM

If you talked to an advisor or appointment center person, they wouldn't have a clue about the bulletin. The tech should have no problem finding it. Right now, I'm on my cell which doesn't work with the bulletin database I have to log in to to look it up.
I found a website called Alldatadiy that offers tsb's for a fee and they list the exact problem as TJ20475 May 12 . I will tell the service tech when I take it in, but meanwhile I will search for the TSB. Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by dobes49
I found a website called Alldatadiy that offers tsb's for a fee and they list the exact problem as TJ20475 May 12 . I will tell the service tech when I take it in, but meanwhile I will search for the TSB. Thanks for your reply.
Took it to the dealer with the TSB info. He had never heard of it, but his tech came back and said they could order a disc for $35 and that would fix it. In a week I took it in again. They told me that there were actually two discs that had to be inserted. They inserted them and it fixed the issue. Since I would not need the discs again, they kept them in case they ran into this again, and did not charge me anything!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:53 PM

thanks for the clear topic, this will help me I think, only with me I just changed a disk and the message came up.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 AM

This exact same thing happened to me.
The screen in the dashboard works fine (it pops up and shows Volvo Navigation, Setting, and About menus) but then it says it cannot read the DVD and something about if this happens more than once to take it to a "Volvo Workshop".
The DVD looks perfect, no scratches, not dirty, but I gently cleaned it anyways.
Here the mainly 2 problems i have met before.
I found a thread in which some one ask a similar question and a man gave an answer to it that may help: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-dvd-disk.html
The most frequent trouble when reading DVD is the interlacing. I frequently see horizontal lines when playing. Later i found the lines are caused by interlacing. To fix it, i use a video editor Deinterlace DVD - How to Remove the Horizontal Lines Caused by DVD Interlaced Issue mentioned in this article and chose to deinterlace. Then, my DVD got readable again and no more blurry graphics.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:23 AM

Hi! I found the website and there are some Volvo manuals in PDF, e.g. for:
Volvo C70/S70/V70
Volvo S40
Volvo S60
Volvo S80
Volvo XC60
Volvo XC70
Volvo XC90
Look here