Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Volvo 2002 S80 T6 - GPS / Navigation DVD Error, Nav System Says it Cannot Read DVD

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 2002 S80 T6 - GPS / Navigation DVD Error, Nav System Says it Cannot Read DVD

[/align]
Can anyone help? The factory installed navigation/GPS system (VNS Volvo Nav System) on my 2002 Volvo S80 T6 just stopped working. I have had absolutely no problems with it prior to this. The screen in the dashboard works fine (it pops up and shows Volvo Navigation as it always has) but then it says it cannot read the DVD and something about if this happens more than once to take it to a "Volvo Workshop".

I changed a dead battery (6yrs old, it was about time it failed). And the first time I used the nav system after I changed the battery it did not work. Does the nav system need to be reset or have some security code or serial number entered (like some factory radios do)? Or is there something else anyone knows of?

The DVD looks perfect, no scratches & not dirty, but I gently cleaned it anyways. No change, it still didn't work. To make sure there was nothing wrong with the DVD itself, I have swapped out the VNS / Volvo Navigation DVD with a previous version and get exactly the same DVD read error. And I have taken out the DVD reader and blown it out with compressed air. It looks spotless inside (I live in Southern California, dry climate, not much rain, no snow, no salt on roads). I have also run a DVD cleaner through the reader.

Also, FYI I went into the nav system "secret" menu by pressing the back-enter-back buttons while the GPS display was raising up. It shows a "DTC 2000 DVD ERROR" that I could clear, but then it is set again when DVD read error occurs again next time.

I emailed Volvo who was absolutely no help and said to call dealer. I talked to dealer who said they could do a "battery reset" for $110, but couldn't tell me if that was the problem. I have tried disconnecting the battery and touching the pos+ and neg- terminals, but this has had no effect.

I have taken it to a highly recommended local, independent Volvo/Saab mechanic who could not get it working and recommended that I take it to the dealer. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the system and that I just need to upgrade to a newer version of the DVD for $306 dollars. They said they got the system working with a newer disk version. However, they could not explain why this would work when I asked. That buys a pretty nice Garmin. Remember, this all started simply because of a dead battery.

Upgrading the DVD does NOT make any sense. I told the dealer I didn't understand how an upgraded DVD would fix the problem. Remember, they are not saying this is a disk problem but a version problem. They just said sometimes it just needs an upgrade, but could offer nothing more. They could not explain why the current undamaged disk has run perfectly for 4 years until the battery went dead. And the dealer said there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE GPS/VNS. And the error message has changed since I brought it to the dealer, it now says something about the disk cannot be read, but nothing about a "Volvo Workshop".

Neither mechanic I brought the car to seemed to respond to my request about "reloading the software". Is there anything I can do to get my VNS DVD reader back to a baseline so it can reload the software it needs from the DVD? Any other suggestions? Help please.

It seems very suspicious that this occurred after replacing a dead battery. I really suspect replacing the battery caused this problem.

I'm completely frustrated with Volvo and their VNS. Any advice/help would really be appreciated.

Robert[/align]

Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM

I have the same problem, allthough I have NOT changed the battery. Cannot read disc is the fault on the screan. I removed the cd player and stripped it down, and cleaned it out, ( in case there was dust in it), repaced but still error. tell me please where is the battery and I will have a go at that. My XC 70 is now 5 years old and the battery has never been changed. Would appreciate you help with the battery. Thanks, Jim

Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Same happened to me, twice so far. First, when I purchased the car, they had to boost it to start, because it was in storage for a few months. I tried 3 different copies of the same original DVD and eventually one worked, after about 30 eject/reload cycles. After 4 years of perfect service, I had to do some work on the car and needed to leave it in neutral. Battery died shortly because of some electric consumers that stayed on all of this time. I disconnected it completely to preserve charge. When I finished the work, I boosted it from my other car and... cannot read the DVD - again!! This time the eject/reload trik doesn't seem to resolve the issue.
So, like you, when battery dies, there's an issue with reading the DVD. It doesn't make any sense to upgrade the DVD; more likely a firmware upgrade to the DVD unit.
Let us know if you did find the cure.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think when you are disconnecting or putting in a new battery there is special "trick" ..like you have to put the key @ position 1 and then reconnect the battery..i dont know i was reading that somewhere..so maybe that could caused the problem??? hmm

Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 PM

So that is "battery reset"? Crazy! I'll have to digg deeper...

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM

I took the cd reader to a repair workshop, after contacting Volvo and given a price of £2500.00 GB. they diagnosed the problen which was the optical reader and changed it. Now working properly. The rapair place is in the UK. There contact details are as follows. Central Services, 188 Spring Road, Ipswich IP4 5NR Tel 044 1473 725953 Email enquiries@centralservicesauto.co.uk. Hope this helps Jim

Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM

I took my chance and opened the DVD player to clean the lens. With the best magnifier available and my reading glasses on, the laser lens looked perfectly clean. I wiped it anyway with isopropyl alcohol, since I was there... Can't say why, maybe from pure instinct, I wiped the plastic around the lens mechanism, just because the cotton was still wet and... surprise: there was a fine layer of dust that I wouldn't have noticed if I wouldn't wipe the plastic casing. Certainly, the same dust was on the lens too.
I packed everything back and so far so good: the DVD reads again. I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad it worked out..but a weird ending ...lol