1998 V70 T5 squeaky turns / ac & heat doesn't blow

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 V70 T5 squeaky turns / ac & heat doesn't blow

This is my first volvo and first car im not putting maintenance responsibilities on someone else. Although my boyfriend has been doing the work. Ive been doing the research / ordering on parts ect... Ive got a list of things that need attention.. Here's what I got maybe someone has some input. Please and thanks!

- ac/ heat doesn't always blow when I turn on. If you have the air on you can feel the cold air seeping out of the vent. The lights on the setting for ac on or off and setting for air flow will flash for a little bit when its not blowing.

-the steering sometimes sounds squeaky or creaking. Esp on tighter turns. Sometimes on just s regular turn. Don't always hear it. I've checked steering fluid. I had to add a little bit.

- door handle on passenger side moves but doesnt open door. It worked when i first got it the car. You can open the door from the outside though.

- you can't open the hatch from the inside. Checked child safety locks.

Im looking things up. Will take to have someone look at if I have to. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask for opinions on here.

So far my bf has done front and rear struts, sway bar end links, and changed a coolant sensor.

Thanks! Amanda

Old 06-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome to the world of Volvos! I'm sure you'll be happy with the T5, these are really great cars.

The flashing lights on the ECC (climate control unit) mean there's an error in the ECC system. If the blower occasionally works, it's very likely that the blower motor resistor is bad. That's a pretty easy fix. You may want to familiarize yourself with RobertDIY's Youtube channel. He has some really great videos on fixing these cars, here's one for the blower motor resistor:

What kind of squeaking are you hearing? Is it like a stretching, creaking sound when the wheel is close to full lock? Subframe bushings are a very common problem on these cars, but before replacing those, I would start by checking your tie rods and control arms. Those are easier to replace, and more than likely worn out at this point.

The door handle issue may be related to the cable breaking or coming detached. Remove the door panel and take a look at the cable between the door handle and the latch.

If the switch for the child lock isn't switched on, it may be worth pulling the tailgate panel to check the linkage between the latch and the release handle. But be very careful removing the panel, they are usually very brittle and break easily.