My "New" Car!! Need some help from the wise!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My "New" Car!! Need some help from the wise!!

Hi I'm Tarek.

I just bought myself an AUTO 98 V70 XC AWD with 170K. It is in pretty good shape (I don't have much in terms of maintenance records) but i am aware that doing some preemptive maintenance will go far. I would like to learn a little about how to take care of it; so it will take care of me! I am fairly confident in the garage and am now looking for some guidance in the maintenance I want to do. I am definitely an "If it aint broke don't fix it" kind of guy but I have a few jobs I am looking to complete.... well, a laundry list actually; I really don't intend to go overboard though, I am doing this on a budget (about 1.5k)

Jops:

Cooling system
-Radiator-to change or not to change? -how to tell
-Hoses/Seals- spend a ton of time to replace them all? -hoses I have squeezed seem very good (maybe just a couple O-Rings to deal with?)
-I replace the radiator drain petcock or can I just find an O-ring?
-Flushing with before or after *possible* radiator/hose repair or after?
-Normal Antifreeze I have laying around ok??

Oil Change
-Any idiosyncrasies with this? .. Already bought a crush washer for drain plug and Mann Filter.
-Any place to watch out for engine oil leaks?

Passenger Door lock
-The lock works only manually, not connected to central locking.

Auto Trans Flush
-How hard is the filter to do? do I bother
-Heard about the Gibbins Method: After purging fluid through the oil return hose, is there a special clip or O-rings that I need to replace. (Do I just get these at the dealer?)
-I bought 12 quarts of "Castrol Transmax Domestic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid".. Will that be enough to flush and replace fluid?

Sun Roof
-Button non responsive/not iluminated; no e-motor noise when button pushed -checked the fuse and it looks fine

Should I be concerned about?:
-Positive Crankcase ventilation system (hose next to oil cap/ on top of engine is hard)
-A/C and Evaporator
-Fuel filter?

-Any other fluids/ greasing or Easy maintenance to take care of?

I am eager to get this stuff done so I can take her out for an inaugural road trip to the snow!! Thanks a Bunch