Need help with ECM

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with ECM

Hello, I'm looking for some help sourcing an ECM. The car is a 2000 V70 with an NA 2.4L L5 engine and auto transmission and it is a family member's car so I'm not very familiar with the platform, hence asking for some guidance. Based on Volvo's actual parts website, I've been able to find an ECM with P/N 8601825 that fits this car that I believe is correct. I'm searching for an ECM from a parts car so that it doesn't cost upwards of $1000 through the dealer, and I'm aware that it would need to be reprogrammed. From what I've been told, the ECM needs to be the Denso model, not the Bosch so that it can be reprogrammed. My main question is does this information sound correct and is anybody selling one that I can purchase? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

a few questions - have you pulled the ECM out of the car to snap a pic of the SKU info and current model (ie Bosch vs Denso?). If you do pull it out, clean the connectors/pins with electronics cleaner and see if that helps (ECUs are pretty stout so unless you had a major power event it may be that you have corrosion on the connections).

I'm also not sure if the ECM needs to be reprogrammed (or if a used one can be reprogrammed). The 2000 or 2001 model year is about when Volvo started transitioning to the newer communications bus design which is when modules strarted needing to be paired. I know the pre-2000s did not. I'd try Car-part.com to see if you can find a recycle yard. the 2.4 NA is a very common engine so I'd expect a used ECU to go for under $100.

The part number you show is listed from a few dealer web stores so it sounds correct. I'd use that to start searching ie eBay as well.

One other option is to have your ECU repaired. Google around for shops that rebuild your unit for ~$250 which would retain the factory programming. Common computer module problems are cracked solder joints or blown power components not the chips so this may be a good option if you can't find a replacement that just drops in.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by thayertracy
Hello, I'm looking for some help sourcing an ECM. The car is a 2000 V70

and I'm aware that it would need to be reprogrammed.
Why do you want a new ECM? Does the car not run? How was this diagnosed?

To answer your question a company such as xemodex can help you with a replacement/"programmed" ECM. They can test your ECM to make sure what you are purchasing might actually fix your problem also. You and or Volvo cannot "reprogram" a used ECM. Volvo's software download process can only prepare a new ECM to work in your car. For that to happen - both the car and the new ECM have to be in the presence of a VIDA subscription.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/engin...gram-transfer/