Are the original issue tires on my 2000 V70R AWD still available?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the original issue tires on my 2000 V70R AWD still available?

After retiring, in September '99 I bought a new 2000 V70R AWD from a dealer.

It has always been low-mileage, currently has 69,950 miles. Drive it perhaps 4,000 miles a year. I live in northern Virginia, which has a temperate climate.

For several years Michelin 205/55R 16 91H, 620 A A Mud + Snow have been on it.

Sitting in my driveway one of the rear tires went flat. It has a several inches long crack toward the middle of the tread, running parallel with the tire's circumference.

AAA put on the temporary tire. Plan to drive only to have it fixed.

several questions please:

Are the original tires Volvo put on in 1999 still available? I don't know what those were, nor their specs.

The other 3 tires look to be in pristine condition. Excellent tread, having been driven maybe 12,000 miles in several years.

Is the local garage giving me the fair dinkum that ALL FOUR tires, no matter how good their condition, need to be replaced?

I am considering putting Michelin All Season 205/55 R 16 91H 640 A, A on.

In your opinion is that a good replacement?

Thank you.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:33 PM

You should be able to get a tire recommendation from the Tire Rack.

Based on the age of your tires (not miles), I believe the garage is giving you the correct information.

From the Tire Rack: "While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, Chrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service."

Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Michelin makes about a half dozen all season tires in that size. They are all excellent. The tire store probably just stocks 1 or 2. The 640 tread wear makes me think you are looking at their "grand touring" all season tire, Premier. I would say excellent choice. Given it's an R, if you drive like a madman you could consider they make a more high performance tire than that, still all-season.

I think given the type of failure, and the AWD, it would be nice to put on all 4 if you can afford it.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

+1 on the replace all four advise. Tire rubber hardens after 5 years or so which compromises the integrity and traction regardless of tread depth. If you have cracking etc (similar to issues with engine belts), time to freshen the rubber for a safer, quiter ride.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 AM

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Looked to see what the local Volvo dealer recommends. Looked to see what Michelin currently offers. They offer what's on there now.

"Tires are a vehicle's most important safety feature." "Tires are the only part of your car that touches the road. Your handling and stopping depend on your tires."

In the consideration of ... call it $650 to be safe vs. how long can I expect to keep an 18 year old car ... safety wins. The main reason I drive a Volvo in the first place.

Thank you