Timing Mark on Exhaust Cam Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Mark on Exhaust Cam Gear

Working on a 2000 V70 XC AWD. While changing spark plug tube seals I believe the timing may have moved. I say this because my assistant said he heard a strange noise while attempting to start the engine. And the engine wouldn't fire. No, he didn't bother to turn the engine over by hand first. That's another story. I did a compression test and only have 90 psi across the board. I really want to verify the timing is correct before I tell my assistant he bent all the valves. My problem is this. I can't find any mark at all on the exhaust gear. None! Only what appears to be a small letter "m" cast into the side of it. Does anyone know how to set the exhaust gear up correctly. I see the notch in the upper cover, but there's no mark on the cam gear to align to it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Greg

Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second pic above points out where the marks are. second picture is NOT timed up correctly.

Correct timing is pictured in the first picture.

Did you have the throttle fully open when doing the compression test, and turned the engine over for at least 5 seconds?

90 PSI -- if that is correct, means valves are toast.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Just re-read the 1st post. Why were you doing tube seals? Those things NEVER go bad. If you get oul down in the tubes, its most of the time when someone misses the oil filler hole topping the engine off with oil. AND/OR the PCV system is clogged.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
Just re-read the 1st post. Why were you doing tube seals? Those things NEVER go bad. If you get oul down in the tubes, its most of the time when someone misses the oil filler hole topping the engine off with oil. AND/OR the PCV system is clogged.
Customer dropped off car requesting tube seals be changed. Engine running a little rough. Timing belt had been changed a month ago. Customer stated car ran fine after belt change up until a few days ago. He was told the reason for rough idle was oil leaking into the spark plug tubes. So figured I would go ahead and replace them per his request. Gently pulled upper camshaft cover off to expose tube seals. Did not remove Timing Belt. Yes, camshafts raised slightly. My assistant was careful to torque cover bolts in a criss cross pattern. All seemed to be going smoothly until he tried to start the engine. I'm wondering if while the rear of both cams were in a slightly raised state, it allowed them to move without us noticing. I checked out your pictures and I'm going to recheck that exhaust gear in the morning. Honestly, I looked it over thoroughly this afternoon and can't find a timing mark. Someone else who is a Volvo enthusiast told me he had a similar problem with his exhaust gear. Claims he took the gear in hand to a Volvo dealer and they didn't find a mark either.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Default 1994 volvo 850 no timing marks on exhaust cam help!!!

i just put a new head gasket in my car and a bunch other been working on it for the past week finally got the motor back together and i dont have timing marks on my exhaust cam!! what do i do?!?! is there a way to set it at tdc without the marks if you know anything help me please!! really want to get it running!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Second pic above points out where the marks are. second picture is NOT timed up correctly.

Correct timing is pictured in the first picture.

Did you have the throttle fully open when doing the compression test, and turned the engine over for at least 5 seconds?

90 PSI -- if that is correct, means valves are toast.
Thanks for the info. Came in this morning after a good nights rest. Found that timing mark. It was more like a small punch mark towards the bottom edege of the gear tooth. Very easy to miss if you're tired and frustrated. Set tiiming marks, turned engine over by hand and verified still in time. Engine fired up and seems to run fine. Again, thanks for the help.
Greg

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I just did a compression test on my wagon, are you suppose to hold the throttle WIDE OPEN when cranking? What happens if you don't? Are my readings bad?

I cranked it 10 pops (as I call it), maybe 7 seconds. Here were my numbers: 178 / 175 / 179 / 175 / 175. I had the ignition coil disconnected, the motor was cold, the fuel relay was removed and all the spark plugs out.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Default 1998 v70 T Vacuum Lines

Having a bad time with my rotting vacuum lines, I have Vida software, can you tell me where to find a cacuum diagram in that program? Thanks...Pete