02 V70 T5 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 V70 T5 starting problem

hey everyone im new here i just purchased a 2002 volvo v70 t5 from the local auction in my city and i have a bit of a problem. the car will only start if its boosted and if i shut it off and try to turn it back on the vehicle is completely dead. it has a brand new battery the people left me. i bought a alternator from a s80 2.9 apparently it will fit but i dont know if that is the problem i head that theres battery drains from the blower motor or the vanity lights but i need some advice on what this could be. This is my first volvo and the cars been sitting for a week already and i just need it running

Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Battery drain won't happen that quickly. Perhaps the battery isn't new as claimed. I am guessing you are jumping it from the front and the battery is under the trunk floor. With the engine running, check the voltage going into the battery under the trunk floor. If you are jumping it from the front and the battery in the back isn't starting it, you may have wire connection issues to the back.

Shaun

Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 AM

Yes i was boosting the vehicle from the front (battery is in the trunk) im almost certain its the battery i disconnectrd the negative terminal from the battery and the car still ran so the alternator is fine as soon as i put the cables on the car it starts right up no problem and stays running UNTIL i touch the horn. The vehicle shuts off as soon as i touch the horn but that could be just a voltage thing from the battery. Im going to grab a new battery as soon as i can find one and try it out . AND ALSO the car is leaking power steering fluid AND coolant both from the passenger side i will fill the coolant and iy will be drained about 2-3 days later just sitting. Could be just the resivior i hope any suggestions on the leaking could be? Thanks so much for your help

Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Ok seriously? It dies when you touch the horn? That's just messed up. Sorry, I have no idea on that one.
As far as the leaks, look for wetness at its highest point. If it drains from sitting 2-3 days that's a significant leak. If you can't find anything wet then it is internal leaking into the engine. The other thing could be air pockets. That is best fixed by running it. I know when I drained and refilled mine I had to watch the reservoir for several runs until it worked itself out.
My power steering leaks too. The highest spot that is wet tells me it is coming from the cap on the reservoir tank itself. I just cannot get it to seal. I am about ready to just run a bead of silicone around the lip and fasten it down.
Sorry I'm not giving you much to go on.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 PM

Thanks for all your help the power steering looks like its leaking around the midde of the resivior and i think i have a crack on my rad or intercooler as well the
car was not looked after at all by the previous owners its just a disaster the last oil change on that thing was at 80,000km it now has 202,000 the horn is whats bugging me as well because the peoplr had pulled the fuse up in the fuse box so that it wasnt on so i put a new one in and it shuts thr car off as soon as i touch it lol guess i have to use no horn

Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 PM

That's a shame. It sounds like the car was neglected. Unfortunately Volvos need TLC maintenance. I wonder if the horn wiring is somehow interfering either with the ignition switch or the alarm. Either one would shut the car down but would traced and troubleshot. Troubleshot? Sounds right, doesn't look right. Anyway, good luck bringing it back to life and ironing the kinks out. I hate when people abuse their cars with lack of maintenance.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 PM

ok i have a little bit of an update on my car now i got a new battery i bought a smaller one that was in the car cause i didnt want to spend the 200$ to get a really good one for it not to run so i brought the battery home changed the battery and it started up perfect. so i decided to press the horn it didnt work but the car didnt die the lights just got dim so i pulled the fuse on horn and it didnt go dim witch is good and bad. so i locked the doors and came back later during the day to see if it was dead and to my suprise it wasnt but the alarm was going off like crazy so obivously theres something wrong inside the horn not the horns themselfs thats not really that big of a deal now but. i went to go start the car 2 days after this now everything in the car works but i wont fire lights just go dim on the dash. im assuming its the battery thats to small or i have a slow battery drain. i also failed to mention in the other posts that the vehicle was in a very minor front end collision and sits right now with no drivers headlight no fog lights or anything attached. could this be the cause of a battery drain?

a bit of a unrelated note to the car not working itself i bought a new bumper for the car but when they dropped it off they sent me a volvo s60 bumper will it bolt up to the car fine? it looks like the brackets on the side of the bumper front my v70 will fit on it as i tried but im missing the middle bracket inside the bumper for it will my v70 brackets fit on the s60 bumper?