2004 V70 2.0 petrol; water leak front passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 V70 2.0 petrol; water leak front passenger side.

Hello!

As per the title, yesterday I discovered a puddle in the front passenger side floor. At first I thought (hoped) it was snow dragged in and melted, so I took out the floor mat and went for a longer drive with the heating on full and directed to the floor. That seemed to dry everything up nicely.

However, when I went to check it today I saw that it was wet again and leaking from somewhere between the torpedo wall and glove box. Please see photos: https://imgur.com/a/37eBPJP

​​As you can see in the first photo, the leak is coming from somewhere in the top right corner there. I screwed off the kick plate below the glove box and from what I can see the leak seems to be coming from that screw in the third pic, or somewhere around it. I was going to remove the glove box to have a better look, but it blew up to a snowstorm with terrible winds so I had to just put a tarp over the front side of the car and hope for the best for now. It's supposed to rain for a week straight (great time to get a leak like this) but as soon as it'snot raining or snowing sideways I'll get the glove box out and try to have a better look.

I don't know what that screw in the third pic is, I've never really repaired cars before so I have no idea what I'm doing here. I've got the Haynes manual so I'm just trying to learn as I go.

Do any of you have any idea what might have caused this leak? My thought is that it could have something to do with the "chute" or what it's called between the front window and the bonnet, but I'm not sure. Where the water is supposed to drain from.

edit: the drainage canal between the windshield and bonnet. English isn't my first language lol.

The water comes from the upper right corner here.

You can see the water collecting in a drop from that piece to the left of the cables.

As far as I can tell, the water seems to come from around that screw in the middle here.

Last edited by Reihotep; 04-12-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

does your car have a sunroof? The most common causes of water leak into the front cabin are sunroof seals, clogged roof channel drain tubes or windshield seals. Did the water show up after the car sat in the rain or after some snow on the roof or hood started to melt?

The following users liked this post:
Reihotep (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, no sunroof. I specifically wanted one without a sunroof to avoid this exact type of problem (I bought the car just a couple of months ago).

It has both sat in the rain and had snow melt on the roof and bonnet, many times since I bought it (great weather here these days). This is the first time it has started leaking though. It has been raining for the past few days. How would I go about checking the roof channel drain tubes? There is no leaking around the windshield as far as I can see, it was also changed I believe a couple of years ago.

Edit: after further inspection, I believe I might know the cause. There is a small crack in the windshield right at the bottom, which probably goes straight to the edge of the windshield below the sealing. And it's right above where the leak is.

Last edited by Reihotep; 04-12-2020 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Afterthought