To Change, fix or trade????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Change, fix or trade????

Ok I have a 2001 v70 T5 with 196000 miles. The car in perfect shape inside and out, no rips in the leather seats everything works except the transmission. It works but I believe I have a case of the Volvo flare. So its off to the indy Volvo shop on Saturday to see what can be done. Worse case is a new trans at the cost of $3k. So I have been looking around and the Volvos that I am seeing for the price that people want are not in such a good condition. So the idea poped into my head...If I do have to change the trans, why not go one step further and do a manual swap. So has anyone done one on a T5 how much did it cost was it worth it and with a car with such high mileage is it worth it ?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a shift flare is your only symptom, it is hardly terminal. Should be able to fix it with tranny in the car with a kit from IPD here:
Automatic Transmission B4 Servo Cover Update AW55-50/51

Good luck

Bob

Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by RJSV70
If a shift flare is your only symptom, it is hardly terminal. Should be able to fix it with tranny in the car with a kit from IPD here:
Automatic Transmission B4 Servo Cover Update AW55-50/51

Good luck

Bob
Thank Bob

I did the research and did buy the kit as well as the tran oil and was just about to do it, when I read on another forum that several people said there tranny did not work or it still need the flash update to the transmission computer to remove the "natural". I am hoping that it is the flare issues and nothing else. And from speaking with the guy at the indy Volvo shop he will do he best to try to save the transmission as he said he does not make anything from rebuilding the transmission all the money goes to the rebuild shop. Will update after I take the car to the shop on Saturday.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

I'll add my experience on the tranny flare issue. I bought my '01 T5 with 208,000 miles (but still in really, really nice shape). I got it for chump change because of the 2nd to 3rd gear flare, which the owner knew would scare away buyers. I had researched the S4 servo cover fix, and bought the car hoping that would fix it, but knowing that there was a good chance I'd need to replace shift solenoids as well, and that it was also possible that I'd need to swap the tranny to fix it - but with the price of the car being so low any of those possibilities would still result in a great deal for a really nice car.

So I swapped the S4 servo cover, using the kit from IPD, then drove the car around the neighborhood shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear, as detailed in the (excellent) IPD instructions that came with the kit. It took a few miles for the flare to disappear, but it did, and now my tranny shifts as nice as it ever did.

I also decided to do the home flush of the tranny (again, using a kit from IPD), as a preventative measure against any future issues. And just to give myself every advantage, I also installed an external transmission filter with a magnet. So the end result is that I invested around $150 into fixing and maintaining my transmission, and it seems to be working flawlessly and hopefully it will continue to do so for many, many thousands of miles.

That is to say that while the idea of a manual transmission in my T5 does appeal to me, there's no way that I'd undertake all the fiddly issues necessary to make a change like that, particularly not before I at least spent $30 and 30 minutes to replace the S4 servo cover.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
I'll add my experience on the tranny flare issue. I bought my '01 T5 with 208,000 miles (but still in really, really nice shape). I got it for chump change because of the 2nd to 3rd gear flare, which the owner knew would scare away buyers. I had researched the S4 servo cover fix, and bought the car hoping that would fix it, but knowing that there was a good chance I'd need to replace shift solenoids as well, and that it was also possible that I'd need to swap the tranny to fix it - but with the price of the car being so low any of those possibilities would still result in a great deal for a really nice car.

So I swapped the S4 servo cover, using the kit from IPD, then drove the car around the neighborhood shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear, as detailed in the (excellent) IPD instructions that came with the kit. It took a few miles for the flare to disappear, but it did, and now my tranny shifts as nice as it ever did.

I also decided to do the home flush of the tranny (again, using a kit from IPD), as a preventative measure against any future issues. And just to give myself every advantage, I also installed an external transmission filter with a magnet. So the end result is that I invested around $150 into fixing and maintaining my transmission, and it seems to be working flawlessly and hopefully it will continue to do so for many, many thousands of miles.

That is to say that while the idea of a manual transmission in my T5 does appeal to me, there's no way that I'd undertake all the fiddly issues necessary to make a change like that, particularly not before I at least spent $30 and 30 minutes to replace the S4 servo cover.
Thanks for the advice. I do have the servo cover, and flush kit from IPD as well as the Mobil fluid, but one thing did concern me. The IPD instructions say that a software update is also needed. Did you get the software update ?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Fortunately, my car came with receipts that included documentation that the transmission software had been upgraded. I wouldn't sweat that immediately though - find out if the servo cover and flush take care of the flare, then see if you have other issues. My understanding of the problems fixed by the software update are resetting the shift points to a higher rpm (to give the car better performance), and eliminating the "feature" that shifts the tranny to neutral when you're coasting or sitting still (leading to a "bump" when taking off again). If your car shifts at a reasonable rpm and doesn't lurch when you push the skinny pedal, it's probably been updated.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 AM

I sold a 2001 V70 T5 with the same POS tranny. The new owner noticed the occasional very hard shift but no flare or slip. The shop he took it to read the codes and none were found. The shop recommended a valve body rebuild based on no codes & no slip.

The job cost him $800 parts & labour and the car shifts perfect now. IMO with no codes and no slip a valve body rebuild is a reasonable way to go rather than a whole new tranny.Especially in a higher mileage car. Try to find a tranny shop that has done a few of these cars and have rebuilt the valve body.
good luck

Old 11-17-2013, 06:37 AM

Well not good news on the transmission. It is going to have to be rebuilt. The following codes came up TCM-002C, gear 5 incorrect gear ratio, TCM-002E, Lock up function and ECM-530D, Malfunction indicator light TCM-faulty signal. The total cost for everything is $3500 and the shop doing the work has done a lot of these transmission. I have to plug the shop I took the car to, Swedeworks Automotive in Phoenixville PA. Eric and Steve are the nicest guys you could meet, gave me a loaner car for the 3 hrs. Went over my car from head to tail cleared some other codes advised me on some sight issues that need attention, most of which I can do myself and did not pressure me into anything, and when I will get the transmission rebuilt will give me a car for the time my car will be down. Eric said the engine and the rest of the car was in great condition and was well worth the $3500 as he cant see why the car could not go another 200k miles. So I was looking at Volvos for sale and to buy a car with appox 100k in good condition is going to cost me $6k plus and who knows what issues I could be buying into also. So will take the rest of the weekend and weigh my options up.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 AM

That's a lot of money... I almost hate to say it, but I paid $1400 for my 2001 V70 T5 with 208,000 miles, though that price had a lot to do with the 2-3 gear flare it had. Still, even if I had to put a new tranny in it, I think it would have been worth it because it's really in excellent shape (AZ car, so no rust anywhere, and the interior is nearly 100%). With the style, performance, comfort and economy the V70 T5 is kind of the ultimate pizza combo! But you're right - when you replace a car with a problem, you may just be buying other problems that could be just as bad or worse.

My experience with other cars is that if the transmission isn't slipping, there's a good chance that a valve body rework (normally replacing the shift solenoids) can fix a host of issues. I was able to research my last "project car" (a 2003 Jetta turbo wagon) thoroughly and had a really good idea what I was getting myself into. It's harder with something as rare as a V70 since you won't find 100 threads about the same issue you're having.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanks habbyguy. And yes this is the problem I am facing the general condition of the car is fantastic. No rips tears or even cracks in the seats . the shop told me the engine is tight and strong just a slight oil leak which they will take care off during the tran rebuild. Engine mount need replacing front brake lines cracked. But as I posted earlier the shop I went to only advise me to replace those items and said I can do them myself which I can and will.
Any car I have seen for $6k is not the same condition as mine where as now I know what I have facing me and I think I will go the route of the rebuild.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by geraldc70
Thanks habbyguy. And yes this is the problem I am facing the general condition of the car is fantastic. No rips tears or even cracks in the seats . the shop told me the engine is tight and strong just a slight oil leak which they will take care off during the tran rebuild. Engine mount need replacing front brake lines cracked. But as I posted earlier the shop I went to only advise me to replace those items and said I can do them myself which I can and will.
Any car I have seen for $6k is not the same condition as mine where as now I know what I have facing me and I think I will go the route of the rebuild.
Have the shop clear the tranny coeds and see if they return.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 AM

All the codes were cleared and they returned on the ride home.