Check brake lights warning, center brake light only works

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check brake lights warning, center brake light only works

I've read a few threads on this. My check break lights signal started comingon intermittingly. Finally I decided to buy new bulbs…thinking one or both weregoing bad. After replacing the bulbs…the outside break lights don’t workanymore…and but the center one does. Now, it is 100% of the time (afterreplacing the bulbs).

So, I checked the fuses and they were fine. I even replaced them just in case.

I replaced the relay in the trunk (15/16 combo relay) and that did not fixthe problem.

Finally I ordered a new stoplight switch…and just installed it. Again, theproblem is still there.

Not sure what to do next. The only thing I can think of is the light socketitself. On the rear right side I noticed a little bit of charring and a smallpiece of burnt plastic around one of the contact prongs that you twist into thetaillight. I did clean the prong…but nothing changed.

The check break light warning that is coming on every time I tap the breakis starting to annoy the crap out of me!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Default Brake lights

I have an almost identical problem on my 93 240 wagon, except that they still work intermittently.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd look very closely at what you did when you replaced the light bulbs. All the other steps you took were probably unnecessary (since the center stop light still worked, the brake switch and relay were still OK). My guess is that somehow the new bulbs aren't quite seated properly, or perhaps there's a problem with the housing / connections themselves. I'd remove the bulbs, clean the connections on the carrier, and re-seat them, making VERY sure they're firmly seated (it's a blind "feel thing", so maybe they're just not fully installed).

But the bottom line is "when I do something, and it causes something to not work, I did something wrong".

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Yeah, that's also what I was thinking. However, I've removed and put back in both the sockets several times. I've even cleaned out the prongs and socket and applied bulb grease.

I did notice some charring on the rear right socket. Looked inside and it appears that one of the contact frames (in tail light, around the bulb socket)may be lose. Burnt plastic all around it. Even when I get the socket in the right position...I'm able to pull it straight out with minor force.

I've ordered a whole new light assembly (used). I'm hoping that this will solve my problems as it is clear there is some kind of problem with this light...hence the burnt plastic. Although, if that is the case...I'm surprised the fuses didn't blow.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM

All fixed. The metal housing around the break light socket had shorted some how and melted the plastic. Long story short, the entrie tail light assembly was shot and had to be replaced. Bought a used assembly for $40 and I'm now care free.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by zinko
All fixed. The metal housing around the break light socket had shorted some how and melted the plastic. Long story short, the entrie tail light assembly was shot and had to be replaced. Bought a used assembly for $40 and I'm now care free.
Had to replace fixtures on both sides- old ones all melted around brake light bulb holder so that no connection was made- $130 for pair of aftermarket ones, but now works.
If you have problem with brake lights, don't bother trying to fix- just replace.