Climate control and seat warmers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control and seat warmers.

Hello!

This is my first thread as I'm new. I did several searches and didn't see my topic, so here goes.

I have a 2005 XC70 wagon. It's in great shape with 116,000 miles or so. I take very good care of it.

Recently I took it to a chain store mechanic that doesn't specialize in Volvos to get a simple oil and filter change. They have always done great work at great prices for the simple stuff like bulbs, tires, etc.

I asked them to turn off the "Regular Service Needed" warning on the trip computer, which they did.

Here's the problem: Now my heat and seat warmers don't work! They did the very morning I took it in. Is it possible that resetting the computer disengaged some module that operates those climate control features?

The drivers seat warmer seems to work a tiny bit, but no way near what it did and passenger not at all. I looked under the seat and everything looks connected.

The heat blows room temp and not hot at all. The AC works, but I'm not sure if it's full blast. It's been cold here so it's hard to tell.

For what it's worth, someone on another site told me that when they reset the computer they may have disconnected the battery and reconnected it wrong and that messed things up. Does that make any sense?

I went back there, and it's a long story but they gave me the run around for a week, finally helped me as they kept saying I had to wait for their "master mechanic" who finally showed up and after I explained the whole thing all he did was reset the computer again. I retold him the problem and he told me I needed to bring it back in for an inspection. Now they want to charge me for the inspection as they say what I'm telling them is wrong and the problem occurring the day they reset trip computer is all a coincidence.

I'm probably going to take the car in to my Volvo guy who I wish I had gone to in the first place. He's a lot further away, so I went to them.

I just want to be prepared with some knowledge of whether or not they did when they went in to the computer has anything to do with my heat and seat warmers not working. If it does, I'll get them to fix it or pay for the repair from somewhere else.

Also, immediately after I got the car back, the AC did not work at all. I fiddled around with the controls for a long time and then it was better.

Also, at one point, the computer said that the battery was low, but it was after I'd had the flashers on in a no parking zone for 10 or 15 minutes, so I wasn't too surprised.

One more odd thing was that twice the computer was showing no gas was left and the needle was on the far left. The first time, I did need to gas up, so I wasn't surprised, except that it was immediately after the second time they reset the computer and it had been showing I had like 35 miles left to empty tank. But then, two days later it did the same thing! I knew that time I had not gone through a tank and when I gassed up the pump stopped me at like $10.00. It hasn't happened since and I've gone through another tank of gas.

Any help is appreciated! I'm new here, so if I broke any rules, please let me know. I read the beginners threads, so hopefully I did this right.

Thank you and have a great night.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

pretty sure the service light reset on your model uses the trip reset button (hold in when turning the key to position 2). Not sure how that would break your heater. No way to tell if they opened the battery but have no idea why they'd do that. Did you check for a blown fuse?

Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 AM

Hi mt, and thanks for your reply. I went back there today. Luckily I was able to deal with a different rep. He was much more knowledgeable. He echoed what the other guy said about the battery getting disengaged. I have an appt. this weekend for them to recheck it out. He said if the computer gets reset incorrectly then the connection to the battery gets messed up and may mess other things up. He said what's needed is a special dealer tool to reset the computer. Well, I wish they had told me that before.

Anyway, he said that this super duper master mechanic will know what's needed. If they can't do it, he said they'll send me to another store to do it or to the dealer. If I have to go to the dealer, I'll make sure they compensate me.

O how I wish I had not asked them to turn that "service needed" warning off. This has taken hours of my life and will take hours more. Oh well, that's life.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Disconnecting the battery will not reset the service reminder. You can either use a scan tool or go through the process using using the trip reset button. Neither have anything to do with the climate control or seat heater.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply. So, it's not correct that the climate control system could be affected by improper adjustments to the trip computer?

Old 04-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The climate control is on the same CAN BUS network as the air bag. Like I said, resetting the service indicator or unhooking the battery is not the problem.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 AM

I see. It's just such an odd thing that all this stuff started acting weird the day I had them reset the trip computer.

BTW the heat seems to be working now and it was not before, but the seat warmers still don't work. I'm going to take it in to the Volvo mechanic.

Thanks again.