Hi it's Kelly, two questions regarding keys and rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hi it's Kelly, two questions regarding keys and rearview mirror

Hi everyone it's Kelly (new to the forum this week). Proud owner of a 2001 Volvo V70 that I bought on Monday of this week!!! Love it!!

However I have a question, the rearview mirror has a hiccup (it's 98% tinted and 2% is the mirror). Where might I get a new rearview mirror as I am guessing it's a darkening mirrror? ANY and ALL INFORMATION is MUCH appreciated!

Also I only got one key and the fob. Does anyone know if the key has a microchip in it? What type of money am I talking about to get a new set of keys?

THANK YOU AGAIN for reading this!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Hi Kelly,

I'm not sure it is a darkening mirror unless it's an aftermarket. Junk yard or dealer would be my suggestions.

As far as the keyfob, there is much discussion on the Net about this but it is much conjecture and guessing. The best bet is to get them from the dealer but I have seen costs as much as $200 for the fob and programming. I believe the last time I even thought about it the dealer wanted $175. It just wasn't worth it to me.

Shaun

Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM

Hi Kelly, I would try ebay for the mirror, as for the keys, they should be cut and programmed at a dealer, and the price varies from what I've found from $150.00 to $200.00 per key, I'm running 2 volvos with 1 key each, I'm just real careful not to lose em. Refuse to pay that kind of money...you might want to look into an auto starter for your keychain, they may have what you want for a lesser price...good luck with your new ride.
Peace
Pete

Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
JRL

No No No No NO!
The rearview mirror is VIN tied into the alarm.
Your best bet is to buy a used 2001 mirror from a wrecking yard and swap the guts out, if you don't the locks won't work and you could possibly have a starting issue
Somewhere on matthews there's a "how to"
www.matthewsvolvosite.com

If the mirror is not actually delaminating, it may just need a software upgrade at the dealer

Last edited by JRL; 07-17-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Default mirror woes

I bought a mirror from the yard and found out that now my sunroof won't work shortly after inserting the connection plug to the power mirror. So the VIN theory is correct as far as I am concerned. Plus I disposed of the old mirror with the circuit board. Conclusion, no more sunroof or maqybe reprograming at a dealer. VOLVO has invested a lot of time and salary in software engineers.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by McKess
Hi everyone it's Kelly (new to the forum this week). Proud owner of a 2001 Volvo V70 that I bought on Monday of this week!!! Love it!!

However I have a question, the rearview mirror has a hiccup (it's 98% tinted and 2% is the mirror). Where might I get a new rearview mirror as I am guessing it's a darkening mirrror? ANY and ALL INFORMATION is MUCH appreciated!

Also I only got one key and the fob. Does anyone know if the key has a microchip in it? What type of money am I talking about to get a new set of keys?

THANK YOU AGAIN for reading this!!!
Mirror: are you sure the mirror is not just set in the nighttime anti-glare position? There should be a lever on the bottom of the mirror that you can flip back and forth.

Transponder key with programming? About $180.00. Key fob with programming? Probably another $100.00. Dealer only for the transponder key.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 PM

I have the same issue with my 01 V70. Auto dim portion of the mirror failed on a 100+ degree day, leaving a small portion of the mirror 'undimmed'. JRL is correct. Security runs through the circuit bd behind the mirror, making it a real job to replace. Salvage part would probably be less than $100 and then a half day of slicing and soldering. Dealer replacement of the mirror is more than $750(here in NC).

P.S. Mine is still broken, but functional. It's way down on the list.