Looking at a 01 V70 T5 to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 01 V70 T5 to buy

Hi All
Pretty new member here.
Last year I bought my first Volvo, a 98 V70 with only 149000 which I love .Now need a backup and saw a nice 01 V70 T5 for sale.
Seller wants $3700 .Car is in real nice shape ,both body and grey leather .
Was Told transmission,timing belt,alternator ,throttle body, PVC, Battery ,5 new coils,all replaced , Car drove nice but had a bit of a loose feel in steering wheel but couldn’t take it on highway. Any advice on all this
much appreciated as I am new to all this. Thx

Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles?
Any '01 had the imperiled transmission, weak MM ETM and possibly fragile DIM.

You think he really REPLACED the trans.? How long ago? Got receipts?
The same goes for the PCV. How long ago?

The ETM is rebuildable to a better standard. So was it a rebuild or dealership replacement with the old style?

Check the turbo's oil return line for leakage at the block. Some intercoolers swell with age. I do not know about Volvo intercoolers.

Check under the oil fill cap for sludge.
Bring a rubber glove and stretch it over the oil fill hole with the engine running. The glove should "suck in" not balloon out.
If it balloons out the PCV system is clogged/inoperative. The seller could easily lie.
A complete PCV job is long involving $250 worth of parts and could run to $750 or more.

Do remember, there's a huge chance you'd be buying someone else's zoom-car toy with the additional chance of it being neglected.

Even the timing belt may have been replaced without replacing the idler and tensioner.
Volvo water pumps are commonly said to last over 2 timing belt changes but it's good to inspect them.

Private sale or dealer? How'd you hook up? Pay for an inspection. Plates on car?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Thx for reply, much appreciated.
Car has 115000 on it.
Not sure if trans was replaced or repaired ,will find out. PVC just done.
Private seller on Craigslist. Guy had a stroke can’t drive anymore .pretty upfront gentleman for what that’s worth.
Going to look at receipts when we take to my mechanic, a pretty good Volvo guy. Did the CarFax and steady maintenance first three years . Always a California Car.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Well I took the plunge and purchased to car on Friday, after my Volvo mechanic gave it the once over.
saw the receipts for the rebuilt trans , new heater core , throttle body replacement(not a Volvo one ,but was married to car at dealer.. Also had cam shaft seals,timing belt kit and PVC. ALSO HAD 5 new coils put in and sleeves were in good shape according to my mechanic..
drove car a bit and REALLY love driving it. Got it for $3750 from gentleman who was really up front about everything. Will need a steering rack soon and an upper motor mount And tires down the road. Car drives solid and interior in great shape,no tears in leather . I do feel very safe in this car. Important to me after getting broadsided in my now departed 2010 Tacoma 4x4 dbl cab and ending up on a curb after guy blew stop sign a year ago.
hope to have this for a long time.
Well I bought the car on Friday after my mechanic gave it the once over . Saw all the receipts for the transmission rebuild complete PVC ., five coils(sleeves in good shape), throttle body replacement(not Volvo part but was taken to dealer to marry part to car),cam shaft seals and timing belt kit. Also replaced heater core.
Love driving it and feels real solid. Will need a steering rack,tires, and upper motor mount eventually .
feel really safe in it which is nice especially after getting broadsided and ending up on a curb In my now gone 2010 Tacoma dbl cab p/u. Hope to have a long time. And oh those seats.��

Old 01-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Well bought the car on Friday after my Volvo guy took a look at it.
Did see the receipts for the rebuilt trans, new throttle body(No Volvo but was taken to dealer to marry car),PVC, cam shaft seals ,5 new coils, (Sleeves are good),heater core, new alternator, battery,timing belt kit .most of these are recent., this year. Will need a steering rack and tires this year.
Car rides solid and I hope to have it a long time . Feel very safe in it especially after having a nasty accident a couple years ago. Very happy.