Lower transmission mount possibly going bad

Old 03-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower transmission mount possibly going bad

I have been experience some hard shifts between 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. I put the car up on jacks today and noticed that the smaller bushing on the lower transmission mount is apparently severely worn to the point I can put a flashlight behind it and see through the housing. At first I suspected this was what was giving me the problems, but then I put my other wagon up on the jack and it had the same issue but does not have hard shifts. Any thoughts?

IF I end up replacing, I see that IPD makes a bushing kit. Seems like an easy swap. they have a SOFT or HARD kit. Anyone have experience with either and which they prefer. I'm reading a lot of additional vibration associated with the HARD versions.

Polyurethane Transmission Torque Mount Bushing - Soft

Both of my wagons are identical: 2004 V70 non-turbo with 160k miles. I shot a quick video to better illustrate and troubleshoot.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

A bad lower mount will give you a "clunk" when engaging drive or reverse, and possibly a little bit of a thump between gears, but I don't think you'd really feel the result as a "hard shift", though that's very subjective. Clearly, you should just replace that mount and see if it fixes your problem. It's a cheap, very easy replacement.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
A bad lower mount will give you a "clunk" when engaging drive or reverse, and possibly a little bit of a thump between gears, but I don't think you'd really feel the result as a "hard shift", though that's very subjective. Clearly, you should just replace that mount and see if it fixes your problem. It's a cheap, very easy replacement.
I don't feel it when switching into D or R as you mentioned. Perhaps there is something more going on.

When installing this, do you have to put a jack under the transmission for support? Or can I just pop off the old and install new without a support?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 PM

If you're not feeling a "clunk" going into D or R, it's probably not going to be causing any problems in any other gear (or much of any problem at all, for that matter). Changing it out doesn't require jacking, moving or supporting anything... just unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one. All the mount does is to keep the engine/transmission from rotating under torque. It's not doing anything at all when the engine is off.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by shoeboxOH
I don't feel it when switching into D or R as you mentioned. Perhaps there is something more going on.

When installing this, do you have to put a jack under the transmission for support? Or can I just pop off the old and install new without a support?
I believe your V70 should have the same P2 Chasis as me with my 02 S60. IPD makes lots of solid parts. Especially with polyurethane for suspension. Just replaced my engine mount, my transmission mount looked ok but when I need one done I will definitely get from them. Here is a nice video on replacing the transmission mount. As they mention in the video. It is the side mount that tends to fail and from them you can but the replacement. I am sure other places might have something similar. IPD USA has been good to me over the years so I personally stick with them for many things.

Last edited by stop_at_willoughby; 03-30-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM

One word about polyurethane bushings - they're great for a track car (since they limit movement under extreme conditions) but they WILL transmit more vibration and noise from the engine/transmission to the passenger compartment. Some folks really don't mind, and think it's worth it for the perceived performance improvement. Others rue the day they bought the "upgraded" part. For most folks, most of the time, go with the rubber bushings.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
One word about polyurethane bushings - they're great for a track car (since they limit movement under extreme conditions) but they WILL transmit more vibration and noise from the engine/transmission to the passenger compartment. Some folks really don't mind, and think it's worth it for the perceived performance improvement. Others rue the day they bought the "upgraded" part. For most folks, most of the time, go with the rubber bushings.
Very true. Recently replaced the engine mount with a polyurethane one. Got a ton of vibration. However, I tightened down the stabilizer bar a bit and it went back to basically normal.

But as posted above some people really don't mind the vibration some people can't stand it. Depending on how long you have the car. Polyurethane parts are highly unlikely to need replacement again.