Need part number of the small Orings on the steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need part number of the small Orings on the steering rack

For the Love of God could someone tell me the part number of the small orings on the steering rack knuckle. There are two sets of hard lines going to it,…one set of lines is about the size of a dime, the other set is the size of a pencil. I spent TWO hours online trying to find ANYONE who had a parts diagram that showed them.

I also have four sets of Oring assortments, in three different materials, both standard and metric. I replaced the larger ones and they seal. The smaller ones won’t seal using what I have, and I’ve tried it three different times.

I can find Volvo part numbers for the larger ones no problem….but the smaller ones seem to be made of something they want to keep a secret.

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY !!!!

I’ve spent how much time chasing down two .10 cent orings ????

2007 V70 2.4L.
manual trans.

Save my sanity please…

Old 06-16-2022, 10:09 PM

Hasn’t anyone ever changed these O rings? I am amazed if that’s the case.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Did you call the dealer?

Old 06-17-2022, 09:10 AM

Not yet. The dealer is quite a ways away from me. I’d rather get online. I’ll hit the dealer up soon if I can’t find it myself. Thought it would be a two minute search….but that’s proving wrong.
I put the word out on Mathew’s site too. Gonna check in there now.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:06 PM

Ok guys,….there’s a saying that goes something like “If you’re getting resistance on something, one solution is to expand the picture”,…or scope, or something like that.

Well,….mystery solved.
I got really really into concentrating on where the oil was coming from on this last go around.
I got everything really really clean.
I got a strong flashlight really really close.

And,….it’s not those o rings.
It’s the seal where the input shaft goes in at the top of the knuckle.
It’s tilted backwards,…so a leak would run down the topside rear of it and present itself as a leak at where I was seeing,…thus wrongly implicating the line seals. It also makes more sense. That seal is a working “live” seal whereas the line seals are static. Also that seal lives in a horizontal position more or less and has been gathering grit, salt, and whatnot for years,…and 225K miles. Duty done.

How did I confirm this you ask?
I tied a rag around the input shaft, started the car and proceeded to watch it NOT drip.
After a few minutes, pulled the rag, and in short order,…here comes the drip drip drip.

Soooo,….although I’m no longer going insane over some orings,…looks like I’m on the hook for the rack replacement. I looked hard at the input shaft to see if I might tackle a seal R&R in situ,…but that looks impossible. If anyone has had success doing that, I’m all ears.

For now, although I loathe those snake oil “seal expanding leak stop” additives you can get with some Power Steering fluids,…I’m gonna give that a Hail Mary try for now. Taking advice on replacement rack providers.
I’m scared to look at the Volvo Dealer price….

Old 06-17-2022, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

For future reference, you can just call the dealer for a price and part number. Then order the part number online. But it sounds like you were looking for the seals for the pipes on the rack itself, not to and from the rack. Those aren't available from Volvo I don't believe. Doesn't matter now as you need a whole rack anyway.