Roof Rails V70

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rails V70

Hi All,

I have a 2004 V70 and am wanting to add a roof rails to it so that when we travel this summer we can attach a cargo carrier to the roof. Can anyone help this busy mom with the questions below?

Do my existing drip mouldings (?) between door and roof need to be replaced to accommodate roof rails? One body shop says yes, other says not sure. They need painting anyway, but painting them and adding a roof rail set would be a lot less expensive than replacing them if I need them to be a different kind to add roof rails

Feel silly asking, but how would a cargo carrier attach to roof rails? Would I need to have cross bars too?

New to this forum, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 PM

I just bought a used set from a guy on ebay, who sells pretty much only volvo rails and cross bars. The instructions were to lift with a small pry bar that little channel and cut at the predetermined areas to reveal the threaded fittings. The whole job took about an hour and a half. Hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 AM
JRL

If you want the long horizontal Euro rails and cross bars, the existing rails must be cut in three places to install them, or you can find a set of these which require no rails:

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JRL
If you want the long horizontal Euro rails and cross bars, the existing rails must be cut in three places to install them, or you can find a set of these which require no rails:

These being a stock Volvo accessory called "Roof Mounted Load Bars" for which the roof of any V70 without factory roof rails will accept without modification! As seen here:

Last edited by akcapvolv; 07-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by akcapvolv
These being a stock Volvo accessory called "Roof Mounted Load Bars" for which the roof of any V70 without factory roof rails will accept without modification! As seen here:
You do not need any modification to use the Volvo "roof mounted load bars". These bars attach to cleats in the top side channels.

These cleats are inconspicuous, but if you look and feel you will find them. There is a pair of cleats at about the B-pillar and another pair further back. If you can't find them, ask the dealer when you get the crossbars to show them to you. The instructions for those bars will explain how to lock the bars onto the cleats.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by akcapvolv
Originally Posted by JamesG
You do not need any modification to use the Volvo "roof mounted load bars". These bars attach to cleats in the top side channels.

These cleats are inconspicuous, but if you look and feel you will find them. There is a pair of cleats at about the B-pillar and another pair further back. If you can't find them, ask the dealer when you get the crossbars to show them to you. The instructions for those bars will explain how to lock the bars onto the cleats.
I've re-hosted the photo so it shows up again here in this thread.

Each load bar "foot" is identified with a sticker by which position each "foot" takes: FL and FR for front left and front right, RL and RR for rear left and rear right. There's a small diagram inside each 'foot' to indicate how to correctly attach to the built-in cleat on the V70 -- so as not to catch the plastic strip that runs the length of the roof. Each 'foot' has itself a pair of rubber pads that are indented to mate up with the cleat.

It would be very hard to install these incorrectly, it takes all of three minutes... and again (I'm not sure why it needed reiterating) no mods are needed for the Volvo Accessory "Roof Mounted Load Bars" Part Number: 31213161:

Last edited by akcapvolv; 09-23-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Davis816
Hi All,

I have a 2004 V70 and am wanting to add a roof rails to it so that when we travel this summer we can attach a cargo carrier to the roof. Can anyone help this busy mom with the questions below?

Do my existing drip mouldings (?) between door and roof need to be replaced to accommodate roof rails? One body shop says yes, other says not sure. They need painting anyway, but painting them and adding a roof rail set would be a lot less expensive than replacing them if I need them to be a different kind to add roof rails

Feel silly asking, but how would a cargo carrier attach to roof rails? Would I need to have cross bars too?

New to this forum, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
You use the existing trim but it does have to be cut. Once they lift off the trim you will see where to connect the rails, everything is there that is needed. And yes you will also need crossbars. I just did this and bought a set on ebay that worked very well and were inexpensive.

Good luck

Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by cfoley
You use the existing trim but it does have to be cut. Once they lift off the trim you will see where to connect the rails, everything is there that is needed. And yes you will also need crossbars. I just did this and bought a set on ebay that worked very well and were inexpensive.

Good luck
With the accessory ROOF MOUNTED LOAD BARS part no 31213161 you do no cutting and need no crossbars. About $150 new on ebay. Easy choice.

Last edited by akcapvolv; 09-29-2012 at 02:22 PM.