To Strut or not to Strut?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To Strut or not to Strut?

Looking for advice. I have a 2003 V70 2.5T AWD wagon (not XC) with 106K miles. Car is well maintained and runs great.

However, recently I have been getting a crunching/rattling sound coming from the right front upper strut tower. I am quite sure it is either a failed upper strut bearing or upper spring seat (I did bang a curb pretty hard back in October).

My local independent Volvo repair shop has quoted me as follows:
  • $375 per side to replace upper strut bearing and spring seat, or
  • $700 per side to also replace the strut with OEM Sachs
So, a few questions
  • Is it OK to just replace the strut bearing and spring seat on only one side or should I do both at the same time?
  • If doing both, do I go the extra distance (while I'm in there...) to have them do the struts at the same time? I don't think the struts are worn but...it's been 10 years and 106K miles so I can't exactly remember what they felt like new. BTW, the dealer says they almost never replace the struts on these cars unless they all-out fail and leak fluid.
  • If replacing struts, do I spend an extra $112 per side to go with Bilstein HD's? I've owned a BMW M3 and very OK with firm/sports ride - I often feel the font end on this car "wallows" over bumps right from new. Many people say they are too hard(?). Plus, will the Bilsteins put additional wear on the other suspension components?
A lot of questions, I know. Appreciate your help.

Bob

Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not going to replace the struts, you should be fine only replacing the strut bearing/spring seat on the suspect side. That said, at 106k you must be close to needing new struts and you'll be paying twice for the labor to remove/install the strut when they do need to be replaced. I have a 2001 V70 T5 and my struts needed replacement at 82k. I chose to install Bilstein HD's front and rear (shocks) and I can't say I've been pleased with the ride quality overall. Cornering is much better and they are great on smooth roads but quite harsh on anything else. I'm in Georgia and our roads are generally pretty good but I wouldn't use the Bilstein HD's again. I have broken two IPD Heavy duty spring seats since I installed the HD's and if I break another one I'm going back to OEM struts.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I feel your pain. I recently had a crunching sound in my passenger side upper strut area. Turned out to be a bad upper spring seat. I didn't know that until I took it all apart, but I ordered a bunch of replacement parts before hand so I could get the job done and not have to put everything back together only to order more parts. I ended up replacing the struts, strut mounts, and upper spring seats.

I went with IPD's heavy duty upper spring seat, $50 each:

ipd Heavy Duty Front Upper Spring Seat

Went with Sachs (OEM) struts, got them at FCP Groton, $150 each:

Volvo V70 Front Strut Assembly-Sachs OEM (2001-2007)

and strut mounts at IPD, aftermarket, $40 each:

Upper Strut Mount Bearing

Of course, you could not install the IPD heavy duty spring seats or aftermarket strut mounts and opt for OEM products. All in all, I spent around $500 and did it myself. I did the swap about a month ago (115k). All parts removed were original. The struts appeared to be fine (no leakage) and the strut mounts were a bit rusty, but functional. Like I said, the upper spring seat was damaged, cracked around where the rubber and metal met. I probably didn't have to do the struts and strut mount, but what the heck? I had it all apart and had the parts with me.

My opinion is that if you're replacing a strut mount or spring seat is to do them in pairs. If they're replacing either part they'll have to remove the entire strut assembly (or shock), compress the spring, and put the new seat or mount on. They're really not that far off from replacing the strut, too. at that point. I haven't noticed a difference in the front end since doing the install, just that the clunk sound is gone from the spring seat.

FCPGroton and FCPEuro is also running a 10% off parts and free shipping this week, too. Wonder if the indie shop would allow you to purchase your own choice of replacement parts and they can perform the install....

Good luck...

Last edited by ronkimes; 11-27-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Thanks for all the great info guys. I made an appointment for this Tuesday to have them pull the right front strut and replace the spring seat. And while they're in there, I will have them inspect the upper strut bearing and the strut itself.

I know I may be going the cheap route. And while I really like my cars to be in top condition, the fact is I really only drive this car 12 miles a day to/from the train station.

Thanks

Bob

Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM

So, got the car back from the shop today. I ended up replacing only the passenger side upper strut bearing and upper spring seat. Very pleased with results. Job for one side cost $373.82. I was pleased to see the part number for the spring seat is 30683637 which is the HD spring seat for the XC90. This indie Volvo knows all the tricks.

He said the driver's side is showing fatigue and will probably be due soon but, I'll wait until it completely fails and starts making noises.

They also inspected the struts themselves and said they are still serviceable. And with everything back together, I would agree. Glad I did not gratuitously replace the struts "just because".

Bob

Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM

As a follow up, call it coincidence or not but, the pulsing I was getting in the front end under heavier braking is now gone too. I was certain it was warped rotors but maybe it was play caused by the failed spring seat(?)

Either way, I am pleased.

Bob