Suspension rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension rebuild question

Hello to all, and thanks in advance.

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T FWD with 244k miles. Had it for 12 years, Ive done all my own repairs, stage zero complete, runs good. The radiator and starter both crapped out at the same time, but I’m fixing that too lol.

Recently my wife and I came into some money and we’ve decided to rebuild the suspension on the car and make some other misc repairs. Like motor mounts. The suspension is all original as far as I know and it’s beyond shot. I think (I think) I have all parts to get started, but just wanted to ask about the rear.

So far I have rear shocks and mounts, sway bar end links, and the IPD sway bar is back ordered but on the way. I also have the rear control arm bushing kit that FCP sells. Here is a link to it:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...r-bushingkitp2

I haven’t found nearly as much info on doing the rear as there is for the front. Would anyone care to comment on the following?

Is this everything I will need to do a complete job on the rear? Again I believe it’s all original with 244k miles and I consider everything to be suspect if it’s not already known to be bad, so I want to replace it all now while I have the money.

Will i I need any special tools or presses for all those bushings?

can anyone provide links to write ups for the rear?

Also, I’m not to proud to beg either so if you have experience please help me out. I have spent a fortune on quality parts for a good job and need to get started soon. You know how it goes. If anybody wants it I can provide pics of all the stuff I have when I get home.

Thank you in advance
Dave

Old 12-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

All those style bushings will have to be pressed in. I haven't done it, so I don't know how much force you'd need. You can make remover/installers, and you can also borrow them from an auto parts store. It would be nice to get a glance at a factory shop manual and see what they recommend, understanding that they might show customized tools in the manual that you would be figuring out how to work without.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I did control arm bushings similar to those shown once on an Audi. The hard part was pressing out the old bushing - I wound up flaming out the rubber then scored the metal sleeve with a sawzall to pop the old bushing+cuff out. I made a press using a hardened steel bolt and washers to push in the new bushing also a trick is to keep the bushings in the freezer then press in while they are cold (so they shrink just a bit). To tell you the truth, it was a PITA without a proper press so the next time I did control arms, I simply bought the whole assembly. I found that was cheaper than paying a machine shop.