Very small coolant leak v70 2001 n/a

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Very small coolant leak v70 2001 n/a

Hi there!

I was just wondering if anybody could help me or guide me through where to look. I have a V70 2001 n/a in good condition except for one small thing that I discovered lately.

First of all, I ran a scan and nothing weird came up on the scan. But the main point is that I saw a few drops of coolant leaking near the oil filter. The coolant reservoir amount went down but engine stays dead center on the temperature gage in the car. No weird smells or nothing. I popped open the timing belt case and it's nice and dry. I looked around on the web for possible causes of this leak but didn't find anything really clear. I'm no expert and I was just seeking some advice maybe before going to a shop and probably getting told many things and maybe some that are not true .. kinda change a few things for nothing...

I was thinking maybe about a small hose ? A rubber gasket that dried out / cracked with time ? Honestly I have no clue..

By the way, the coolant is a nice color and no oil in it. Oil is nice too .. nice "oil color" no weird smells .. foam or color so that seems fine.

Thanks for your help !

Old 07-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a small flashlight, a mechanic's mirror (on a stick), paper toweling cut in strips, a place to work out of harsh Sunlight so your eyes can work.

Start looking and feeling around. Go methodically. Hold the strips at the ends of your fingers to feel about where you cannot see.

Yes, it could very well be a hose...or cracked reservoir...or a leaking reservoir cap...or dribbling down from the thermostat housing.

What color is your coolant? G&K

Old 07-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply G&K !

I'll get myself a little mirror like that this week. I only have bigger ones at home. I tried although a few ways with a bigger mirror to see better but without much success.

My coolant is the yellow one. I've taken a few pics that might or might not help.

** pics might be huge. I appologize **

Thanks a lot !

Here's my oil. It seems nice and clean and smells normal.

My coolant. Smells like coolant.

Reservoir. Coolant seems dirty but as you can see on the previous pic, it's clear. Reservoir it aged a bit and dirty on the exterior.

Last edited by Ice_Raven; 07-28-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Mistake