Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

95 volvo 850 coolant leak, battery and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 volvo 850 coolant leak, battery and other issues

Hello, my car has some issues now. Before I go to a mechanic, I'd like to hear some advices here, such as what the possible problem and possible solution is, how much it will cost. Thanks a lot.

1. Coolant leak.
It happened last night. I drove one and a half hour on the high way back home. In the beginning of the trip, the low coolant light went on a few times. Each time it was on for a few seconds and then went off. I decided to keep driving and kept an eye on the temperature. Fortunately the temperature didn't over heated and the light didn't come back any more. This morning I check the coolant. It only reaches the bottom of the tank. I think the coolant is leaking. I found one pipe connected to the radiator is wet. (Please see the pictures below.) I filled the coolant and drive my car to my office. It's about 6 miles, ten minutes. Coolant is still full. So maybe it's not a fast leak. I guess it has been leaking for some days, and I just didn't notice until yesterday. I'm not sure it's the radiator, the pipe or the connection between them. The radiator is replaced about two years ago. But it's a cheap one. I got it new for $100 from Ebay. So what's happening and what shall I do?

2. battery
This morning when I opened the hood, I found the battery is in the condition shown in the following pictures. Does this mean the battery is going to die? I haven't had any problems on starting the car. Do I need to replace the battery?

3. EGR system malfunction.
The check engine light was on for this problem four times. I guess I need to get something done for it. Maybe just a cleaning? The car is a little bit louder than before, but not too much. Does the EGR system cause the noise?

I'm in Michigan now, but will move to Virgina soon. I'm graduating and got a job offer there. I hear to register my car in VA, I have to pass the security check and the emission check. So I'm thinking to fix the problems before I move. Although it has some problems, this car basically runs well for me. I hope it will run for two to three more years, as my job offer lasts.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Doesn't look like a coolant leak to me on the rad connection. You'll have to look from the bottom to see if there is a drop on it. You can also read this thread, we had a bad head gasket that was causing coolant to leave the system.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...roblems-63516/

As for the battery, it needs to be cleaned off. Go to the autoparts store and get these while you are at it.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM

What RS said about the coolant

A good ole fashioned solution for the terminals is to pour a little distilled water on the terminals. This will clean up the sulfate and also reveal if the lead/copper on the terminals themselves are corroded and need to be replaced.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Doesn't look like a coolant leak to me on the rad connection. You'll have to look from the bottom to see if there is a drop on it. You can also read this thread, we had a bad head gasket that was causing coolant to leave the system.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...roblems-63516/

As for the battery, it needs to be cleaned off. Go to the autoparts store and get these while you are at it.
Once clean, the red and green washers do a really good job of controlling corrosion from reforming. Since you have to pull the cables off anyway to clean up everything you might want to take the battery in to a parts store and just have them charge and test it. It's still likely good but it's nice to know for sure. If you have a stock radio make sure you know what your radio security code is as you'll need it to get the radio back on after you reinstall the terminal ends back on the battery.

The picture of the lower hose doesn't look like any coolant leak but it would be more noticeable from under the car if it is leaking. The small metal line is bleeding some but it would be one of the transmission cooler lines and it would be trans fluid leaking from that connection.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-19-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I keep an eye on the coolant, but can't see any obvious leaking and the tank is still full by now. Maybe I should ask a pro to check it? I plan to drive it to VA at the end of next month. I don't want any trouble on the road or before I settle down there.

I have cleaned the battery nodes by soda water and a brush, also applied some petroleum jelly as somebody suggested. But I learned online that the normal lifetime for the battery is 3-5 years. I have been driving this car for more than 3.5 years. Maybe it's the time to change the battery?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rred
I keep an eye on the coolant, but can't see any obvious leaking and the tank is still full by now. Maybe I should ask a pro to check it? I plan to drive it to VA at the end of next month. I don't want any trouble on the road or before I settle down there.

I have cleaned the battery nodes by soda water and a brush, also applied some petroleum jelly as somebody suggested. But I learned online that the normal lifetime for the battery is 3-5 years. I have been driving this car for more than 3.5 years. Maybe it's the time to change the battery?
If it were me I would pressure ck the cooling system and cap; the coolant had to go somewhere. You don't want to find out where it went while on your trip.

My battery is over 7 yrs old and going strong. Yes, clean up the terminals per earlier suggestions.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get the tool and the screw on adapter on loan from autozone or oreillys.

Attached Thumbnails 95 volvo 850 coolant leak, battery and other issues-cooling-system-pressure-tester.jpg