2008 XC70 CAN-BUS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 XC70 CAN-BUS Issues

Has anyone out there had a massive failure of the CAN-BUS system on the XC70 (2008+)? We had the radio replaced recently as a number of stations did not come in or were distorted. Then 6 weeks later the entire electrical system went haywire, parking brake light came on, blinkers would not work, radio turned itself off, yes 'itself' and warning lights came on all over the dashboard. The speedometer and tachometer went to zero as well. As it turns out the radio/CD player and a number of electrical systems are connected to this particular CAN-BUS and therefore if one part of it goes out so do the rest of the systems. Please comment if you have had similar issues. I heard from several sources that this is not uncommon but Volvo is not admitting to it.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by AlchemyAndy
Has anyone out there had a massive failure of the CAN-BUS system on the XC70 (2008+)? We had the radio replaced recently as a number of stations did not come in or were distorted. Then 6 weeks later the entire electrical system went haywire, parking brake light came on, blinkers would not work, radio turned itself off, yes 'itself' and warning lights came on all over the dashboard. The speedometer and tachometer went to zero as well. As it turns out the radio/CD player and a number of electrical systems are connected to this particular CAN-BUS and therefore if one part of it goes out so do the rest of the systems. Please comment if you have had similar issues. I heard from several sources that this is not uncommon but Volvo is not admitting to it.
Hi i'm having the same problem with my 2008 xc70.I took it back to the dealer as it had just been serviced and they said it needed Inoperative/cm and software and the cost would be £571.32,what did you do?

Last edited by jasharpe; 05-10-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Default 2008 XC70 CAN-BUS Issues

Originally Posted by jasharpe
Hi i'm having the same problem with my 2008 xc70.I took it back to the dealer as it had just been serviced and they said it needed Inoperative/cm and software and the cost would be £571.32,what did you do?
Hi, yes same issue, just got the estimate/bill from the Volvo Dealer it was 560 Euros for the control unit exchange and the upload of the ICM software. Was told to call Volvo Sweden and explain situation. We are only 6 weeks out of the warranty period so dealer felt good chance to get it approved (credit) by Volvo. Been trying to reach their customer care center since last week, no luck getting through yet. Good news is the problems all went away and no further incidents so far! Will update once I hear back from Volvo.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Question Had this same issue with CAN bus today 2008 S80

Started vehicle today; 1st time in 7 days.. radio nor the ac would come on..
then all sorts of flashing codes, information light, brake light, TPMS light and vehicle message flashing saying that airbag needed service immediately.

Since something similar to this happened when one of the sunroof drains backed up into passenger floor, I CHECKED THERE FIRST.. NO MOISTURE UNDER ANY OF THE SEAT MATS.

So I continued to drive vehicle... messages would 'flash' every 3-4 miles then resume back to normal... meanwhile radio still will not come on and ac will not come on. after 10 minutes get to INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 395.. open sunroof and turn signals everything else working, headlights on etc.. Proceed on interstate at 70 mph [legal speed] set cruise to 70... then brake failure light come on flashing - saying I MUST SLOW DOWN AND PULL OVER.. CODES FLASHING AS WELL, I IGNORE IT AND KEEP DRIVING.. AFTER 3 MORE MINUTES RADIO comes back on...AC COMES BACK ON and car acts normal for the next 15 miles until I get to dealer service.

Dealer says he cannot re create issue and after check my car out [ has 7yr 100k CPO] he says unit must be CAN BUS tested as car has 13 miles of wire in it and it will take all day to search which of those wire sets is having the issue. He says it was 'safe' to drive home today but make an appointment next week for service.

On the way home cut on CD radio and on one track..radio starts to skip, then pop.. then turns off then pops again then recycles then cuts off. AC STILL WORKING [AND NO CODES THIS TIME]. Still don't know whats wrong with this one...wife says the radio coming on and off has happened to her 3 times before.
Had to go to dealership anyway.. was thinking of buying 2011 XC70 CPO BUT WITH UNRESOLVED ISSUES like this wonder whether we should wait until we see if dealer can resolve this issue BEFORE making a 35k investment in another one.

Last edited by WoodinVirginia; 04-13-2013 at 01:26 AM.