Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 air conditioner door actuator "Line Bus" error

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 air conditioner door actuator "Line Bus" error

Hi everyone
My mechanic installed two new 2006 s60 AC door actuator motors, but then he realized he didn't have a scanner to "calibrate" them.
I took it to my local Volvo dealer to get them calibrated and they told me they can't communicate with the motors, they get a "Line Bus" error code .
Ok so they have had the car for over a week and can't find the source of the problem.
They said they have emailed Volvo and are waiting for an answer.
Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?
Thanks
Frustrated in Florida

Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM

You have a LIN bus error. LIN is used to allow the motors to communicate with the CCM and assume the correct position. They all use the same wire to communicate on so an issue on that wire (or something connected to it) will cause this fault. In addition, if your vehicle has seat heaters they are on this circuit also. (Since you are in FL, I am guessing that you don't but just in case.) The LIN bus is divided into two different groupings and if the components on that LIN bus are removed then everything else should work.

It is very possible that your original issue was not with the two motor that were replaced. If the wire is shorted then that could cause it and if the CCM was defective then that could cause it also.

We would need more information before we could help you determine the root cause. Can you get more information from the retailer?

Last edited by scotsborn; 03-21-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Default S60 Lin Bus Error

The Volvo service guy said they did disconnect all components to LIN Bus and still was not able to Isolate the problem, even after conferring with Volvo; they seem stuck in the water; any helpful ideas as how to proceed, thanks

JP

Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Default S60 Lin Bus error

also the service guy said the Lin Bus is not an actual wire that can be replaced, but is more a method of the modules communicating with each other (I would guess a soft ware thing of some sort, but am not sure). Is this correct?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:07 PM

LIN is a standard by which modules communicate. It does use a copper wire to communicate on that physically connects the control module to the actuators so there is a wire that can be compromised, broken, grounded etc. It is only 1 wire so should be easy (relatively) to trace. Due to the fact it is only 1 wire, the SW allows the 1 wire to perform multiple functions and communicate information. So, a combination of wiring and SW to make the system work. Unfortunately, the voltage fluctuates very quickly and this can confuse some technicians as there is no defined readings. If there is a defective actuator on the wire (since only one wire is used), it stops communication from all modules. When they remove the defective unit then the others should work correctly but there will be DTCs for the missing actuator. Unless (of course) the CCM is the issue. There should be voltage on the circuit that is manipulated by the actuator although each actuator provides some voltage also. The voltage is power (Ubat) and then is grounded to give an 'on' or 'off' signal by which each module can communicate.

Last edited by scotsborn; 03-25-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:35 PM

I wish I could be as smart in this as you are, however, as for me, if servicing is confused, it's a failure, lol. Although I'm not smart when it comes to various devices, I trust my household items, especially aircons only to the guys from air conditioner repair servicing. There are working only professionals. Last month I've ordered new aircon, it was pretty expensive, so I decided it's far better to order professional servicing. It's totally worth it! Great servicing!

Last edited by Kylie81; 05-05-2020 at 01:39 PM.