2014 XC70 - Front door will not open in freezing weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 XC70 - Front door will not open in freezing weather

Have had an intermittent problem just the last couple of weeks.

I live in SW Colorado. We have had a lot of cold, wet (rain) and snow. the last several weeks.

Last week I got in the car in the morning but couldn't open the door from the inside to get out. I was able to roll down the window and open the door from the outside. It worked fine, both from inside and out, the rest of the day.

Several more days happened the same way. Sometimes by the time I got to work, only about a 10 minute drive, it worked fine. Has always worked later in the day and in the evening.

Today, could not get in the drivers side door. Seems to lock and unlock fine, but when you pull on the handle nothing catches. I ended up getting in the car from the passenger side to start the car. The window would not go down because they were frozen (2 out of 4 would go down). Left the car running for about 15 minutes (went to go shovel more snow) and was able to open the door from the outside.

After driving to work with the heat on HIGH, I parked and was able to open the door from the inside.

It is not a matter of the door seal freezing shut. It is a matter of pulling the handle and nothing engaging.

Thanks
Chuck
Durango, Colorado

Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update, yesterday on my drive to work I locked and unlocked the car with the button on the inside of the driver door while I was driving, probably about 20 times. When I got to work I could not open from inside still, but could roll down the window and open from the outside.

This morning was -1. I left the car unlocked over night and was able to get in this morning without issue. Looks like I will be leaving the car unlocked until I get a chance to take it in.

Chuck

Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Your door latch inside the door is defective.