Anti-Skid Service/ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Skid Service/ABS light

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am working on my mother's 2005 XC70. I have searched around the forums but could not get a clear idea on ABS problems. I think that the ABS controller may be failing. Following are the symptoms:

1) ABS light is usually on--but not always.

2) ABS/Anit-Skid Service Required message comes up probably 50% of the time I drive it When it does, ABS light also always comes on.

3) On a couple of occasions, the speedo would get stuck somewhere around 20 MPH and the transmission would not shift, for a while... say 5-6 seconds. Then the speedo would fly up to whatever I was actually doing, and the transmission would shift.

For anyone with experience on this, does this sound about right? Usually I'm working on my 240, which is a decade older... I'm always a little out of my element with this car, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Also, I thought I would try cleaning off the grounds for the ABS... but I don't know where the main grounds are on that car. Any one out there have some guidance? I have a Volvo wiring diagram that is supposed to tell me where the grounds are, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Hello, I am having almost identical issues with out 2005 XC70. Did you get anywhere with this problem/error code?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM

yeah, actually it is the alarm module. totally unrelated, right? But because it operates on the same internal network, when it goes bad, it throws out bad signals. it needs to be removed. Actually, the battery could be replaced, and it work again, however, typically it corrodes and destroys the board on it. You can find replacement units in junkyards. Just be sure you don't get one that already doesn't work. You might be able to get one new also... just they will cost you a fair bit.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Default XC90 2005 anti skid service light on dealer says BCM

Apologies if I am posting the wrong place as I am new here. I did see some discussions about anti skid but felt there a bunch of issues here and also was seeking some general advice about what to do now with the car and whether the Volvo dealer is taking me for a ride.

Bought a 2005 XC90T5 last year for $8,500 for my wife now with 93K miles (the car not my wife). Had a bunch of problems to start with but a month ago we get the anti skid needs service light. This was intermittent about 50-50% on and off. My local mechanic (not Volvo dealer) saw a bunch of faults and put it down to a new battery. I still had the warning with the new battery and he said he did not have the high tech stuff to diagnose go to Volvo Service which I did. They said it was the Contact Reel so I agreed the fix at $734.03. The light came on again the next day so took it back and now they tell me the BCM needs replacing for around $1,500. They said there was a code indicating a BCM fault when I first brought it in but they thought the Contact Reel fix would clear it. There was also a PCV System Clogged cost $766 and Turbo Hose Oiled $202 estimated. This one visit had a total potential fix price of $734+$968 (PCV) +$1,500 (BCM) and I argued that had they should have told me all the problem on the phone including the potential BCM issue as they had the code I would have taken the car to a dealer to CarMax to trade it or sell it as I was not about to throw over $3K at it and I was not about to sell it to a member of the public which might have been easy as anti skid light is off half the time and the PCV issue is not obvious.

As I am now thinking of selling the car I feel justified in asking for some or all of the $734.03 back from the dealer for a repair I would never have paid for had he told me the issues that might be occurring with the car. Do you think I am justified. Dealer says it is safe to drive in Southern California as there is no ice and little rain so maybe I never will skid. Dealer has some terrible review on YELP. Thoughts?

I called Volvo USA because I felt this dealer was in the wrong. I also said and it's true my last three Volvos have been dreadful (I have had 8 in 30 years) with a C70 transmission failures with 75K miles and an S60 "computer module" where I spent $1,500 and it has about 80K so thought Volvo USA might offers some help to a beleaguered loyal Volvo consumer. So far they have offered about $200 and so has the dealer. I have all the Volvo contacts, emails direct numbers but so far all ignored. Not sure I can post them here. Did anyone ever get any help from VOLVO USA? Thoughts on that?

Shall I get rid of the car? Pay $3K less $400? Thanks for any help - Ron