Help Reading Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Reading Wiring Diagram

I am currently attempting to diagnose a windshield washer motor issue. Among other places, I can review the wiring diagram at https://www.qclt.com/html/volvo_ewd_us_eng/. My problem is that even though I can identify the washer motor as 6/127, I can't reconcile what I see as wires connected to the actual motor versus what the diagram is saying. My problem of not being able to understand the motor wiring extends to many other wiring colors to other connectors on the car.

Here is what I see on the car: A connector which splits in two and feeds to washer motors. The wire colors are Black (SB), Yellow-Gray (Y-GR), Yellow-Red (Y-R), and Green and Yellow (GN-Y).

When I go to the diagram, I expect to see these color wires called out feeding the motor. However, what the schematic says is Yellow (Y) and Yellow and Red (Y-R).

Why can't I see the wire colors that are actually used for the connection on the car? Am I missing some other location in the wiring diagram manual that explains all this?

Last edited by godfearer960; 07-22-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not sure why you are going down the direction of wire colors. If you are trying to diagnose the washer motor, it is actually pretty simple.

You are going to have to remove the front bumper cover to get access to the goodies on the RH front of the vehicle. From there, you will find connectors at the pump or pumps if you have headlight washers. For the windshield washer, pull the connector and hook up a typical volt ohm meter. First, find the ground. Make sure that there is continuity to ground. Then, if that is good, have someone pull the lever while you check for a 12 volt signal on the other wire. The circuit is dirt simple.

My guess would be that you have a bad pump motor. I've never seen the switch on the column fail on those models.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, both motors are working fine, when power is applied. However, the connector is not sending power to one of the motors. One Motor, I believe is for the rear window, one for the front. So, I thought that the schematic might easily indicate what is what. However, it is apparent that I don't understand the schematic. This connector is an example of many of the connectors on the car where it is not clear what wire is doing what. One would think the schematic would make things clearer. I assume there is something I am missing about reading these things, and if I could figure it out, I would be much better able to diagnose problems where ever on the car.

For what is worth, one of the wires on the connector to the motor is on continuously, even when the car is off. It is the Green-Red wire. I would think I could track down on the schematic and understand what the purpose is for the green-red wire, but it is not obvious. I would also think I could find the connector number for the whole harness and maybe track things back, but it is just not clear. The schematic shows that the yellow wire goes all the way back to the CEM! Surely there is a harness that connects many things from the CEM to the vehicle and I would think that harness would be called out. So, in this case, I am looking for a branching point "53" or a connector "54".

Anyway, if reading the schematics is not clear to me, there may be others who would have the same question, and I just thought trying to get some more insight into these schematics would be beneficial to me and others. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

did I miss the part where you noted the year and model in question?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

That model may have constant voltage with a periodic ground to make it work. I agree that year and model would be helpful.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No year or model mentioned at any point yet.
The link goes to the front page of the electrical manual so as mentioned already with out the year and model we won't be able to find the right diagram. No diagram.......

godfearer960

You mention that both motors work when power is supplied. Outside independent power or power via the normal wiring and connectors on the car?