HID Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Bulb Replacement

I haven't found a thread on this and I suspect that others are starting to have these bulbs fail too. I didn't even want to ask how much the dealer would charge, but I'm sure that it's substantial. The D1S type bulb that are used for the HID optional headlamps are available either online or even at local auto parts stores for well under 100 dollars. I'm not suggesting that you try this on your own if you don't have experience, because of the extremely high voltage associated with HID lamps (the large flat metal box attached to the bottom of the headlight assembly is the piece to be careful about). However, below are pictures from my experience.

I love that Volvo has made the headlamp assembly easily removable from the vehicle. Just pull out the two metal strips (see the manual) and the assembly pulls out and allows access to the electrical connection. I disconnected the plug and then the assembly can be handled on a workbench.

Here is the assembly out of the car.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3866.jpg

To access the bulbs remove the large panel on the rear of the assembly.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3867.jpg

Gently pry the metal band that secures the inboard side of the panel.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3868.jpg

Press on the notched tabs to release the top of the panel. I found that I needed to apply a little extra pressure with a screwdriver.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3869.jpg

HID Bulb Replacement-img_3870.jpg

With the back panel removed, the low beam HID bulb and igniter is the square metal box on the left. The two metal springs that run vertically over the igniter hold the bulb in place.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3871.jpg

Remove the plug on the bottom of the igniter box. There doesn't appear to be any positive attachment, just a snug press fit. I had to gently wiggle mine back and forth to remove it.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3875.jpg

At the top of the metal box is the means to release the spring. Push down and press to the right to release the spring.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3873.jpg

With the plug unattached and the spring released, gently pull the bulb straight out. You may need to jiggle it and slightly twist (only a bit) it to get the bulb and igniter out of the socket. Be careful, because there is a metal slot that the bulb goes through and one could easily damage the bulb.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3876.jpg

Notice the alignment tabs in the socket. The aftermarket bulb that I received had notches in the collar surrounding the bulb, however, the bulb was installed in the igniter such that the notches would not line up properly with the socket. I used a channel locks to very, very gently twist the bulb so that it would fit into the socket properly. Hopefully you don't run into a similar problem.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3877.jpg

After reinstalling the headlight assembly into the car, I noticed a slight difference in the color temperature. I've heard that the color might change over the first few weeks. Further, it's not that noticeable or objectionable.
HID Bulb Replacement-img_3878.jpg

All in all, not to painful, other than the price of the new bulb. I hope that this will be helpful to others.

Attached Thumbnails HID Bulb Replacement-img_3874.jpg