Key stuck in ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition switch

hey!

i have a volvo xc70 2008 model eu model, where my key has been stuck for a while in the ignition. The car starts so thats not a problem. I got i out yesterday by pulling really hard, and then noticed that the central locking not working, so i changed the battery in the key, with no luck.
i need to push the key into the ignition, it wont suck it in like it usually does, and it seems like the lock who helds the key dont release so i need to pull hard to get it out. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Sorry for my english btw, i am norwegian..

Old 01-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Make sure that the shifter is all the way in park with the button fully released.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963
Make sure that the shifter is all the way in park with the button fully released.
i have a manual transmission..

Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is the key/remote that pushes into the dash then have a look into the opening for the key. At the front of the opening look to see if there is broken off black tab on the left or right side that may be floating around in the key slot. If so it can cause problems. Fish it out.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Default Car won't always spit out key fob

Originally Posted by ssicarman
If it is the key/remote that pushes into the dash then have a look into the opening for the key. At the front of the opening look to see if there is broken off black tab on the left or right side that may be floating around in the key slot. If so it can cause problems. Fish it out.
The piece you speak of is broke on the left side. I can't find it. I bought a new ignition. It's simple to put in. However I'm concerned the key fobs won't work after replacing it. Is anyone aware if changing it would cancel the vehicles key fobs or is this an easy plug and play once I replace it. I can continue pulling it out however rather have it working properly

Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM

Year and model?
My car the folks at FCP euro state on the switch listing that the ignition switch needs programming. Looking at other models they don't state this so it may vary by model.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Wright
The piece you speak of is broke on the left side. I can't find it. I bought a new ignition. It's simple to put in. However I'm concerned the key fobs won't work after replacing it. Is anyone aware if changing it would cancel the vehicles key fobs or is this an easy plug and play once I replace it. I can continue pulling it out however rather have it working properly
The model is a 2010 Volvo xc60. The receiver draws it in when you push it. When you shut it off, pushing it in is supposed to eject it. That part doesnt always work. The car works fine. And if I pull it a certain way I can get it to draw it in again later. However the key fibs dont work if the mechanism doesn't eject it. The car will always start but the key fob electronics and alarm wont work. I imagine the key fob recognizes the computer not that part or else stealing the car would be too easy. Im just trying to figure out if I mess with it if it will cancel my keys.
a Volvo you tuber said no you can unplug the dim and the start stop but im hearing different things.
Any help.would be awsome thanks

Old 05-18-2020, 06:20 PM

In the product information in the link below states requires programming.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-xc60-30772449

So I would go with if you replace the switch it will not recognize your keys until it is programmed to the car and to recognize the keys. Now the VIN break may make a difference but I couldn't say for sure.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
In the product information in the link below states requires programming.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-xc60-30772449

So I would go with if you replace the switch it will not recognize your keys until it is programmed to the car and to recognize the keys. Now the VIN break may make a difference but I couldn't say for sure.
Thanks for the help. Ive seen videos of the DIM being swapped out without programming. What is the VIN break? I wonder if I tried it, and it didnt work, if I put the old one back in if it would work? This is frustrating. Thank you for the help