more lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more lock issues

i recently purchased an 02 xc70 that needed some work. one of the issues was the locking system. I thought i could tackle the problem but i was wrong. from what i have read i might have to take it to the dealership. I also do not have the fob as it stopped working a long time ago the previous owner said. I just have the master key. Could having no fob lead to lock problems? Should i fork out money and order one?

This is what its doing;

The front drivers, front passenger and trunk all lock and unlock with the master key. the rear drivers door is always opposite to the two front doors. ie. when i lock the car with the master key the rear drivers door opens and when i unlock the two front doors with master key the rear drivers door will lock. weird.

lastly the rear passenger side power lock does not work at all.

is there a way to reset the system by pulling fuses or something?

i read someone took it in and hooked it up to the diagnostic tool for the locking sequence. is there anything else i can do before i go and take it in? thx

Last edited by rspi; 09-10-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM

can anyone make a suggestion as to why my drivers side rear door locks when the rest of the doors unlock? it seems to be out of sequence and how can I start to attempt fixing it.

Last edited by rspi; 09-10-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Default 02 XC70 Door Locks

I'm not a master mechanic, but have worked on my 92-95 Volvo 940T S/Wagons & the 86-88 740T S/Wagons & sedans.
Most electrical issues are driven/controlled by specific computer modules now.
Engine, Transmission, Fuel Injection, SRS/Air Bags & even the Ignition & doors.
My recommendation is to bring it to where I have my error codes reset, which is Midas Muffler, of all places. Each shop has a Launch or Snap-On diagnostic elec tool & most have the software upgrades for Volvos, or they can order it.
They just received the S/W for my 03 & 05 XC70's. It's far cheaper than taking it to the Volvo dealer. I suspect the cost for clearing/reseting the error codes is
$70-$75, which can be done in a matter of minutes. Although owning (2) Volvos
of the same model, I'm not ready to fork out $550. for the basic diagnostic tool yet, but will at a later date, as I keep our cars 10-12 years. Best wishes
Phil

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any update?

I am interested in an update to your issue.

I have a 2008 XC70 with the fobs in tact. The fobs lock and unlock the doors just fine. My car has a feature that allows you to open the locked doors just by pulling on the handle or locking them by pushing a rubber button.

In my case the driver and drivers side passenger doors do not open with the handle nor lock with the rubber button.

If I were to guess, I have a bad connection or ground wire on the left side. I wish I had the service manual or a body manual to refer to.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Default Update Requested-XC70 Electrical Issues

My 2003 XC70 instrument panel cluster circuit board failed. I paid $338 to have it repaired. I made the mistake of driving the car to a medical appointment while it was removed. I had to send it to BBA Remanufacturing in MA & wait for return mail. When I reinstalled it, I had numerous fault codes. I took it to my local, trusted shop & had the manager, who is extremely knowledgeable in advanced mechanics, reset the codes. I prefer using local, independent businesses for major repairs, vs. the dealership. I save considerable $. This shop uses a Snap-On diagnostic tool. It removed all codes, but one which had a bad bulb. The next time I remove the cluster, I'll change the bulb.
My 2005 XC70 ignition switch assembly failed. A internal tumbler tab breaks off & blocks the key from turning in either direction. I replaced it w. an OEM one from Warwick RI, w. one arm. I've had 4 orthopedic surgeries & had my opposing right shoulder then in a flex cast. It was a major ordeal w. one usable arm & hand. Both issues seem to be inherent to the XC70 model.

*Your issue is the R/Side internal driver & passenger door locks & handles. My guess is the same; a linked, faulty wire, as both doors are affected. My recommendation is to first check the master window/door lock control in the driver armrest. The switch modules can get dirty/bad contact over time. I had similar issues on my 940T/740T s/wagons. I cleaned the modules, contact points, wire connections & substituted spares I'd bought from wrecks at salvage yards. That way, I could test the modules, by trial & error. On my 2005 XC70, I just got an error code for the rear deck being open-its not. The switch contact at the trunk lock mechanism needs cleaning. Its not making a solid electrical contact. When my L/Shoulder heals from surgery, I'll fix that small issue too. Anyway, I'd try cleaning the armrest control modules & check connections before tracing the wires. Also, check the fuses & relays to both door windows & locks. PC