All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

740 Auto Intermittent start problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 740 Auto Intermittent start problems

Hi.
I'm new to the site and to Volvos. Since purchasing a very reasonably priced 1989 Vovlo 740 2.3 Turbo estate i thought it would be worth checking out a few forums. Im impressed with the car, and this site.</P>

I do however have a problem, i will detail the issue below and would greatfullt accept any advice that you guys may have.</P>

Firstly 85% of the time the car starts first time, if it dont start the first time though, i know im gonna have problems.</P>

When it doesnt start, it basically acts likeit thinks its stuck in drive, power goes to the fuel pump and ignition, and the lights display on the console, if i jump start it off another car then it will start, if i try to jump start it off my fully charged battrey and another fully charged battrey then it wont start. I have tried adding copper grease to the leads without success, i have triedtaking the earth directly to the engine, again without success, i have tried jiggling about the autoshift with no joy, I have swapped battreys, and checked the starter motor to see if its sticking. </P>

Im sure this problem must be pretty common with autos, but this is my first auto and first volvo.</P>

If anybody has any ideas i would certainly appreciate some tips.</P>

Cheers</P><edited><editID>skunkworks</editID><editDate>38075.2796180556</editDate></edited>

Old 04-06-2004, 03:05 PM

i would be interested to know if your performing a hot or cold start. i have a 91 240 and have learned that on a hot day after driving the car, it sometimes does not start just by turning the key. for some reason the hot engine wont turn over on its own, so if it stalls, i give it just enough gas to keep the engine from stalling and after a short time, the engine will turn over without the need for any gas pedal input. i have heard this problem was common in my year of car from my mechanic (never got into detail tho) so i never put my finger on why it happens. the only advice i have is to turn the key and keep your foot on the gas pedal and listen to the engine, giving it enough gas to keep it from stalling until the engine picks up and maintains idle rpm on its own

Old 04-19-2004, 05:19 AM

Common problem of the fuel pump relay going bad. This relay is located behind the ash tray and is the big white one

Old 04-20-2004, 04:18 PM

Hi people.</P>

Thanks for the responses. Sorry about the delay in response.</P>

It would seem the starter solenoid is up the duff, i shorted the unit out one day when the bloomin thing wouldnt start and low and behold it worked, im about to get the starter motor replaced/fixed so hopefully - when thats done my starting problems will be over. Fingers crossed.</P>

I've just got the old volvo back from its MOT, and it failed - only on the front brakes (which i knew about - the drivers side caliper has seized) a tyre (naughty, naughty) and one of the exhaust sections is holed (thebit that goes over the axle) so i'm well happy, it should be passed this week. Then i only have to worry about rocker cover gasket which seems to be spewing out oil at the moment.</P>

Still great car - cant wait to get the o'l fella back on the road - me and the dog have got some walking to get done.</P>

Thanks for the responses, your adive helped me right out. </P>

</P>

Cheers.</P>

Old 04-20-2004, 05:59 PM

glad to be of assistance, keep us posted as to how it goes.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:48 AM

My 740 GLE sometimes does the same thing, but only on cold days. </P>