All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

ADDENIUM - Intertiment Starting Problem 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADDENIUM - Intertiment Starting Problem 7

<FONT size=2>

Hi:</P>

ADDENIUM to the note below and thanks so far for many of your helpful tips:</P>

Since the note I have replaced the fuel pump relay: That did nothing to correct the problem.</P>

But, I think I am closer to isolating the problem. Last night after trying to start the car at five-minute intervals and just before the tow truck arrived I decided to try one other thing. I turned the ignition and just left it on for about 2 minutes then tried to start it and I could tell I was very close to victory. But it would not start. I left the ignition on for another minute and tried again and it instantly started just as the tow truck pulled in. It seems to me logic dictates there is one or possibly 2 components working together to cause the problem but for someone who knows this car can probably point to the cause fairly easily given these facts. Obviously the problem needs to be corrected, as this would create some difficult especially at a stoplight.</P>

Original Note:</P>

Re: 1987 Volvo 740 GLE (non turbo)</P>

Problem: Will not start on an intermittent basis (not as intermittent as it might seem on further effort as described below:</P>

Action taken thus far:</P>

Had it towed 3 times to 3 different mechanics the last time to a very knowledgeable Volvo mechanic.</P>

The first 2 mechanics gave up because ever time they tried to start it, it worked perfectly.</P>

The 3<SUP>rd</SUP> kept the car for five days --- tried numerous times and it always started --- he let it run for various lengths of time up to 4 hours once and could not get it to fail to start. I picked the car up drove it for 20 or so miles into my drive way ---- shut it off and ten minutes later tried to start it and it just kept turning over with no results pushed it in the garage and left it over night --- it immediately started in the morning --- I drove it 2 miles and parked and just for kicks tried to start it and again got the same no start results --- 2 hours later it started up right away --- drove it for 15 or so miles and turned it off --- tried to start it and it fired up right away at 5 and 10 minutes interval up to an hour.</P>

Fuel Pumps Work ---- get spark --- battery fully charged.</P></FONT>