Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

05 volvo S40 Radio Aftermarket Replacement

  #1  
Old 05-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Exclamation 05 volvo S40 Radio Aftermarket Replacement

Has anyone changed their factory radio to an aftermarket radio? Navi Preferred. If so HOW?
 
  #2  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2
Default

I was looking on the Volvo website a few days ago and apparently they have a Navigation system available for the 2005 S40. Check the link below.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/Document...20Nav%20SS.pdf
 
  #3  
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Default radio change

Thank You for the info but I am looking for a complete radio change with a built in dvd and navi system.
 
  #4  
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 9
Default

Good luck. I looked around and finally ended up at a place called Car Toys. They told me about how the new volvos have fiber optic cables in them, which prevents them (currently) from having after market stereos put in. Maybe they just did not stock any stereos that could adapt to fiber optic cables, but from reading through other forums, it seems like we are out of luck with getting a replacement after market stereo.

One thing you might want to try is the iMiv (http://www.imiv.ca/cms/) It is specifically designed for Volvos and it uses your stock volvo stereo screen for ipod integration and such. Their website explains it better.
 
  #5  
Old 06-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 425
Default

Originally Posted by VolvoTex View Post
Good luck. I looked around and finally ended up at a place called Car Toys. They told me about how the new volvos have fiber optic cables in them, which prevents them (currently) from having after market stereos put in. Maybe they just did not stock any stereos that could adapt to fiber optic cables, but from reading through other forums, it seems like we are out of luck with getting a replacement after market stereo.

One thing you might want to try is the iMiv (http://www.imiv.ca/cms/) It is specifically designed for Volvos and it uses your stock volvo stereo screen for ipod integration and such. Their website explains it better.
iMiv is for Volvo radio's using Melbus and not the fiber optic setup which uses the Dension Ipod adapter or Volvo adapter. If diggedog23 wants a new radio in the S40 it can be done, but requires more work and money.
 
  #6  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:30 PM
gilber33's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,964
Default

I don't know if this thread is still alive or not, but just go to crutchfield, get a wiring harness, installation kit, and a double din navigation system. It's actually really easy. Don't bother trying to find things made specifically for volvo, it's not necessary.
 
  #7  
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Exclamation radio

crutchfield does not offer a wiring harness kit for a 05 Volvo s40 it has to be done custom because the climate control is built into the radio. I was told it could be done but it will cost a lot. Car Toyz seemed they did not want to be bothered with a project like that so i found another place that would. The name of the place is JC Motorsport in Galloway NJ.
 
  #8  
Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle-Washington
Posts: 1
Default

Dension is the solution for a fiber optic system, their Gateway 500 utilizes CD changer control codes to communicate with head unit allowing Ipod navigation and control from the head unit itself. It will not work without Volvo factory coded multi disc cd changer.
 
  #9  
Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 143
Default

Originally Posted by seattlechris View Post
Dension is the solution for a fiber optic system, their Gateway 500 utilizes CD changer control codes to communicate with head unit allowing Ipod navigation and control from the head unit itself. It will not work without Volvo factory coded multi disc cd changer.
My 2005 S40 only has a single CD, does this mean I'm out of luck for the gateway 500?
 
  #10  
Old 12-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Here's the list of product going in:

Kenwood DNX 7100
SAVV 7" Monitors in the headrests
SAVV DVD Player
JL Audio A4300
JL Audio TR 650 CSi
Jl Audio TR 650 Cxi
Jl Audio 10W1.
 
  #11  
Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 143
Default

Originally Posted by willsmorke View Post
Here's the list of product going in:

Kenwood DNX 7100
SAVV 7" Monitors in the headrests
SAVV DVD Player
JL Audio A4300
JL Audio TR 650 CSi
Jl Audio TR 650 Cxi
Jl Audio 10W1.

Going in where? Can those be used in my vehicle? Can you clarify? Thanks
 
  #12  
Old 08-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Default :(

I have the same car and we are pretty much out of luck unless u drop a lot of cash. On swedespeed I once saw a forum with a guy who did it and volvo had to run custom fiber optic cables and he still had to keep the screen from the stock radio for the climate control. They ran it to the area behind the cabin lights. And installed an after market radio. It looked great but cost a lot.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 volvo S40 Radio Aftermarket Replacement


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.