Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Camera question, need advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera question, need advice please.

Hello all,

I'm posting on behalf of my father, who isn't as comfortable with forums and the like. I may have some of the following facts not quite right, but am hopeful you can give some guidance I can pass along.

He has a mid-tier XC variant of some kind. He has some issues knowing where his front bumper is while parking, and he recently decided to get a forward facing camera to tie in with his existing rear camera system to help.

He did all the research himself, and ordered all of the parts via mail order. Today he had it all installed at a small Volvo dealership back east who has never installed one of these before. He called this morning distraught.

Seems the camera system he bought doesn't face forward, but rather left and right, so presumably you can go down narrow European roads and see how much clearance you have on either side. The dealership was proud of themselves, after doing such a fine job with the installation - they didn't know he wanted front facing because he never told them, and he never told them because it never occoured to either of us that a camera would point any direction other than forward.

So now, in light of having overspent to get all of this done, with no real budget to fix it, are there any cheap, good fixes for something like this? I suggested maybe a cheap dashcam type system to replace his camera and keep all the wiring in place, but per the dealer the system installed is a Euro based system and not compatible.

Need some ideas folks. We very much appreciate it!