Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

number of watts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default number of watts

i got the premium system in my 99 c70....i was wondering how many watts are being pushed to one of the two stock subs...i know its a 400 watt system....does that mean that one sub is getting 400 watts?

thanks

Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Default RE: number of watts

No, most likely if it is a 400 watt system then that will be your peak power. My guess is that the "sub" is running 100 watts RMS. THIS IS JUST A GUESS, I'd recommend looking in the manual that came with your car.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:37 PM

I think Volvos' "premium" system uses a 4x70 watt speaker setup. So divide 70 by however many speakers you have PER CHANNEl and thats what each speaker is getting...roughly. Divide whatever is left over by how many subs you have (two?) and thats what each one is getting.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:07 PM

can that be right with over 11 speakers? 70/11 sounds weak... and how many channels do you have with pro logic?

Old 05-18-2006, 07:03 PM

Well...i'm not sure how the speakers get divied up but you have to assume that two of those speakers (at least) are components. I'm not sure but aren't there component speakers for the rear passengers too? Components only get high end signal via their own cross-over and leave the low end for the main speaker so really, 70 watts is plenty. the back speakers are a different story, if you figure you've got two main speakers and one component for each rear channel. Even still, 35 watts is plenty for one speaker. I've only been in a Volvo with a premium system once so i'm figuring this on a some what shady memory...bare with me.

If it helps though i can describe my system in my Cavalier (previously in the Volvo 240) because it too has 11 speakers.

I've got four 6x9s, one for each channel, two 4x6s, one for each front channel (they sort of act as a center channel. It's not perfect...but it works) and components for the front as well. Those run off my 200 watt head unit and are supplimented by a 200 watt equalizer (which doesn't really amplify anything...just tunes it better). I've also got three 10 inch woofers coming off a 240 watt amp. Overall, a significantly louder system than the Volvo premium systems, running off only a third more amps. Which is not to say louder is better...just to say it can be done.

As far as channels/Prologic is concerned...dunno. I do know, however, that Pioneer's Prologic head unit still only has four channels...they just put out more watts.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 PM

oh, one more thing......

70/11 seems small because it is. It's really 70/however many speakers you have connected to each individual channel...and you should have atleast 4 channels (i don't know how those center channel speakers work). So really, it'd be like 280 watts/9 or 10 speakers and 120watts/1 or 2 subs (depending on how many subs you have...two?). 280+120 would give you your 400 watts but again, i'm just gussing here...

Old 05-19-2006, 01:31 PM

thnks very useful info.....hey i have a cheap sony 10 in sub from from my old car in a box... u think if i wired a through both subs in the back...... it would make it sound worse...if not how do u suggest i do it?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Splicing your aftermarket sub into the pre existing sub is not a problem. the problem is suplimenting them all with enough power to get good sound. You could always try cutting your sony in to see what it sounds like. If it doesn't sound right, try disconecting the factory subs and leave just the sony on there. If that sounds like butt, then just put it back the way it was...no harm done.

Factory systems are designed for factory components....subs especially. A lot of factory subs and amps run at lower ohms (resistance). The problem most people run into is after market stuff runs at higher ohms. If you try to slap an aftermarket sub onto a factory amp it'll sound mufled...factory amps don't have the gumption to push music through those bigger magnets. On the flip side, if you try to slap a factor sub onto an aftermarket amp you'll blow it out. At the end of the day, factory subs are just glorified speakers. Consiquently, this is why Best Buy and Circuit City and the like just disconect or pull out factor amps. The minute you put an aftermarket CD player in a car you start pushing more watts than the factory amp can handle...it becomes the clogged artery in the system.

If i were you and had a little extra cash sitting around, i'd get a nice aftermarket deck and a small amp (like a 200 or a 300 watt...or something in between). Hook up your regular speakers to the regular channels, hook up your factory subs to the RCA pre-amp outs for the rear channel, and then hook up the new amp and sony sub to the sub woofer outs. It would be a magical sound irretating hundreds of commuters in your neighborhood. (you could also splice the signal from the RCA pre-amp outs for the rear channel and use it for the sub woofer output...you could get a cheaper deck that way)

Old 05-23-2006, 04:14 PM

the deck on my stock is pretty nice... in terms of options such as pro logic and such... quality of sound would not be worth the extra bass.... really do appreciate ur input though.....

thanks and best of luck

Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 PM