Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Subwoofer Trunk Rattle, any suggestions?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Default Subwoofer Trunk Rattle, any suggestions?

I just installed a 12" single Kenwood sub in my trunk. Amp install was a breeze seeing how the battery is already in the back. So nice, Thanks Volvo!

My trunk is rattling and I was curious what others have done. I know there is Dynomatt but wonder if there are other things I could do? I added foam behind the liscense plate already, but the trunk is rattling pretty hard. I don't have the sub to hit hard, just to even out the great stereo the S80 already has, just add a little deeper bass to the mix. Not heavy rap type music or nothing like that. No offense rappers!!! I have 3 boys and out grew that phase some time ago. LOL.

Is there a way to adjust the trunk to close tighter? I read on other forums that some were able do this.

Thanks for your suggestions and such.

Spankey

Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
JVC

Dynomat... thats all I got for ya. and source the rattle by listening for them and see if you can tape down wires if they're rattling or tighten screws on stuff that might be rattling.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by spankey View Post
I just installed a 12" single Kenwood sub in my trunk. Amp install was a breeze seeing how the battery is already in the back. So nice, Thanks Volvo!

My trunk is rattling and I was curious what others have done. I know there is Dynomatt but wonder if there are other things I could do? I added foam behind the liscense plate already, but the trunk is rattling pretty hard. I don't have the sub to hit hard, just to even out the great stereo the S80 already has, just add a little deeper bass to the mix. Not heavy rap type music or nothing like that. No offense rappers!!! I have 3 boys and out grew that phase some time ago. LOL.

Is there a way to adjust the trunk to close tighter? I read on other forums that some were able do this.

Thanks for your suggestions and such.

Spankey
Then face the subs forward. You won't get as much Horn effect but from your description that is not the type of sound you want.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Buy a box of Dynamat 3 sheets should do. Remove the carpeted trunk panels put the Dynamat on the metal of the car. Focus on the thin sheets of metal. Put Dynamat on the back of the license plate. Also focus on the trunk lock as well.

I can post up pictures for you if you need them.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 AM

Find out what's rattling and rectify it. Jump in the boot (trunk) with stereo on, close lid and press against anything to see if it stops the rattle.
Rattles in boots are often boot lid springs, tail light assemblies or debonded boot lid skins.
I don't like Dyna mat, it absorbs sound, which is what we don't want.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 AM

[quote=Typhoon;204239] it absorbs sound, which is what we don't want.
[quote]

oh really... so what your saying is that all us professional car installers and home theater installer are just nuts then right? We have no idea what we're talking about?

It has to be that you've never heard the difference from a car that hasn't had it, to that same car with it. Dynamat also keeps the road noise out of the car sealing in the music... oh and the carpet and seats will absorb more sound than that dynamat behind that door panel, carpet and trunk panels will.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 AM

The OP knows about Dynamat, but asked for other suggestions.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Yeah except Dynamat is the solution. I could name a different brand if you want but it come down to the same thing... to stop car metal from rattling you need to sound deaden the car or add about 5 more layers of metal. Its a fact... and as we know facts are stubborn things
To correct this problem sound deading the car is the solution. I build custom car audio systems... This was one of the system I had in my S2000 (just in case you think im bs'ing you):

Name:  DSC00651.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  72.3 KB

Im not trying to sound like a jerk... but if someone needs help and I can help I'm going to. I used to moderate a car forum for years and I was the mod for the Electronics forum. I'm more than happy to help here...

Last edited by darkknight1999; 02-05-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999 View Post
Yeah except Dynamat is the solution. I could name a different brand if you want but it come down to the same thing... to stop car metal from rattling you need to sound deaden the car or add about 5 more layers of metal. Its a fact... and as we know facts are stubborn things
To correct this problem sound deading the car is the solution. I build custom car audio systems... This was one of the system I had in my S2000 (just in case you think im bs'ing you):

Im not trying to sound like a jerk... but if someone needs help and I can help I'm going to. I used to moderate a car forum for years and I was the mod for the Electronics forum. I'm more than happy to help here...
Your knowledge was not in question, but reading your responses you are not answering the original post. Options BESIDES Dynamat to reduce vehicle noise was asked. Being helpful is fine, but saying that only Dynamat is the solution is silly. Ask yourself if the response you made to Typhoons reply is not intended to be argumentative. I agree with his suggestions excluding the last sentence.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 AM

Thanks guys for the help and info. Turns out the trunk wasn't rattling at all. It was in fact the spare wheel cover wooden plate. The sub box was sitting on that, therefore the vibration was causing it to rattle on the car. I placed a blanket down and then laid the plate over the blanket as a barrier and it reduced it by almost none.

Once summer hits and Lowes or HD sells more of the thick weather stripping foam, I am going to line the plate with a layer of it around the edges. This should cut it down and allow me to remove the blanket.

Spank.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:28 AM

Oh I also hope you guys didn't think I was trying to be cheap vs buying the dynamat. I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could do or try before spending the cash.

I do however wish I Could dynomat the ceilings in my home. My 11 year old son is flat footed and it sounds like he is falling thru the roof when he's walking around up in his bedroom. I won't even mention if he is running or playing..... I have my own system in my house with him up there.. BOOM BOOM BOOM.......

Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 AM

LOL I totall understand that!! The 6 yo is like that... everything she does is loud! lol