Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Trunk won't stay up anymore - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk won't stay up anymore - suggestions

Hello to all - all say's hey. I am a regular on a disussion board for 'Disney Travel'. This is my first post here.

We have an 98'S70 - GLE. This was my parents car and a few years after the passing of my Father...I purchsed it from Mom. My Mother has replaced this with a new Volvo for herself. My brother/sister and I wanted her to 'enjoy' a new vehicle...limiting the risk of her 'being on the side of the road'.

This car is in spectacular condition. The mileage is over 140k and has been serviced with multiple visits from the dealer (you should see the recepts - it's amazing what our local dealer has 'suggested' my parents do - over an inch of paper work). I just had the timing belt and idler pulley replaced from a non-dealer shop. I asked about the 'lifts' for the trunk - as the lid currently won't stay up on it's own. It appears they will complete the work...for ~$100. Guess you were all wondering if there was a question here - yes, there is. I can purchase the lifts (look like small shock absorbers - to me) from our local Autozone for $19 ea. Is this a difficult 'job'? I've changed brakes on this and many other cars we've owned. Have installed car stereos for our and others...so...I am able to 'get into strange positions' (no side comments on this remark). Can those with experience offer tips - advice on this repair? As a single income provider for a family of five...I have no hesitations completing 'hard work'. Guess...I could use some encouragement or suggestions on completing this task. And...always...should you feel...this is best completed by someone who has experience...feel free to be honest.

Thank you in advance for viewing and sharing your suggestions.

Am looking forward in being a regular to take full advantage of this fine vehicle we are now enjoying.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Trunk won't stay up anymore - suggestions

Yes very easy to replace will take you about 15 minutes tops!!
Are you near Disney?
If so what state? Cali or Florida?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 PM

welcome, and yea, its a pretty easy job to do. Buy them on ebay or autozone and save yourself alot. The "suggeested" stuff was prolly not in need of replacement, as shops always suggest stuff.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 PM

AutoZone for $19 sounds good. I will never recommend anyone else around
myarea they are great. For future reference here is another seller I like, great
website with lots of details, usually more than one option when buying, great
service and fast shipping. They even have free shipping over $39.00.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/. Here is a site to tell you how:
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/trunk_struts.php
Good-luck.