Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Upgrade stereo for 04 S80? Questions, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade stereo for 04 S80? Questions, suggestions?

I am considering changing out the stock CD-Tape deck in my 04 S80. The factory radio sounds good but the CD player is skipping. I tried to clean it to no avail. I have a few questions if others can suggest or answer them.

I am looking for a good DVD-MP3 type deck. I am considering getting it at Best Buy or Circuit City and having them install it as I don't want to mess with it. I should call them but was curious, they should be able to have a kit to match the dash wouldn't they?

Can anyone offer a good brand that will work well with the factory system (Speakers) I presume there is an amp in the car as the stereo does sound good stock.

I have read customer reviews on best buy and circuit city for models I was considering. Some people said the ones I was looking at worked great but people with stock premium sound systems such as BOSE said it sounded horrible. I am considering a Kenwood KVT-512 or something in that product range. One guy said his base was horrible in his new Vette after getting this radio and he actually returned it and went back to stock.

Any suggestions that will allow me to keep my stock speakers and get the same or better sound is appreciated!

Thanks
Spankey.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Default RE: Upgrade stereo for 04 S80? Questions, suggestions?

Well can anyone answer this questions please? Is it true if you replace the stock stereo you have to have a code cleared by the dealer? And this clearing costs around $300??????

Nutz if true... OUCH!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade stereo for 04 S80? Questions, suggestions?

Tech says you need to go to the dealer and have them do something with the codes....
Not sure how much it costs.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by spankey
I am considering changing out the stock CD-Tape deck in my 04 S80. The factory radio sounds good but the CD player is skipping. I tried to clean it to no avail. I have a few questions if others can suggest or answer them.

I am looking for a good DVD-MP3 type deck. I am considering getting it at Best Buy or Circuit City and having them install it as I don't want to mess with it. I should call them but was curious, they should be able to have a kit to match the dash wouldn't they?

Can anyone offer a good brand that will work well with the factory system (Speakers) I presume there is an amp in the car as the stereo does sound good stock.

I have read customer reviews on best buy and circuit city for models I was considering. Some people said the ones I was looking at worked great but people with stock premium sound systems such as BOSE said it sounded horrible. I am considering a Kenwood KVT-512 or something in that product range. One guy said his base was horrible in his new Vette after getting this radio and he actually returned it and went back to stock.

Any suggestions that will allow me to keep my stock speakers and get the same or better sound is appreciated!

Thanks
Spankey.
You will be best off with the stock system.... ipd may have something but for a solution to your cd problem put the tracks on an ipod or something and get a fm transmitter with the aux cable... problem solved and much cheaper