Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

USA Spec ipod adapter on 2000 S80

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA Spec ipod adapter on 2000 S80

For those interested...

I own a 2000 S80 and the usaspec ipod adapter works great with my 2000 s80. From everything I've read the usapsec solution is much better than the ipod adapter sold by Volvo, primarily because it allows direct control of the ipod rather than the "hack" mentioned in previous posts for the volvo adapter. Also, it costs less.

The usaspec adapter will work with 1999 and 2000 s80's, contrary to the compatibility chart listed on the usaspec.com website (actually, in one place it says yes to the 2000 and in another it says no - but either way, it works). My s80 has the hu-801 receiver, but I imagine the hu-601 will work fine as well, considering it has a similar changer input. The only cautionary note is that the adapters sold from Crutchfield say that they're updated from PA-10 to PA-11 but most aren't - which is what I encountered. Upon hooking it up, the CD6 light kept blinking and I couldn't control the volume or change from CD6 to CD5 (CD6 is the aux input on the usaspec adapter for satellite radios, etc. CD5 is the ipod). Usaspec is aware of the issue and they will gladly update the software on your adapter to the true PA-11. Works like a charm now. I don't know if this affects S60/V70 models. I do know that it affects the S80's, at least the 2000 S80. In fact I now remember hooking up my brother-in-law's 2002 V70 and it worked fine right out of the box. Of course it could have been a PA-11 that was truely a PA-11.

If you plan on hooking up a satellite radio (I've got Sirius) then you should purchase a ground loop isolator (rca in to rca out - inline from your sirius radio to the usaspec adapter) or you'll here a hum from the satellite radio when listening while the ipod is attached (even if it's not running). They cost $15 at best buy.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in ipod (and satellite) integration with your volvo, specifically for those of us who have the 99-00 S80's.
Good Luck,
Jason

BTW, I supplied power to both units through the cigarette lighter using a wire jumper from radio shack. The actual name escapes me. You'll need to at least remove the hvac unit to get to the cigarette lighter and/or the radio if you wish to mount the satellite radio with your favorite homemade device. There are several posts on how to do this. You can find some pics here: http://www.carstereohelp.com/strvolvo.htm

Old 03-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: USA Spec ipod adapter on 2000 S80

Hi there.

I have an OEM Volvo Ipod Adapter and it works fine with my 1999 S80, HU-801 stereo. No hacks necessary.
I can skip tracks, change volume from my steering wheel etc...

I bought the OEM Volvo Ipod because I could not afford the hassle of mucking about with having to send the USA Spec adaptor back from New Zealand if the firmware was not the correct one.

The adaptor comes with detailed installation instructions in colour and Volvo Ipod owner's manual.

If your car is already installed with a CD changer located at the back your can just unplug that cord and into the Ipod adapter instead.
There was already a spare blue power socket. I plugged it in and it worked right away.

Additional time is necessary to run that Ipod connection wire into the driver's center console if there is where you want to keep it. But vitually no installation is required if you are happy for your ipod to be stored in the trunk where the CD changer is.

My Ipod is a 30gb Video Ipod v1.1
The manual indicated that there is no guaranteed support. But it works!

ORIGINAL: jpethan

For those interested...

I own a 2000 S80 and the usaspec ipod adapter works great with my 2000 s80. From everything I've read the usapsec solution is much better than the ipod adapter sold by Volvo, primarily because it allows direct control of the ipod rather than the "hack" mentioned in previous posts for the volvo adapter. Also, it costs less.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in ipod (and satellite) integration with your volvo, specifically for those of us who have the 99-00 S80's.
Good Luck,
Jason

BTW, I supplied power to both units through the cigarette lighter using a wire jumper from radio shack. The actual name escapes me. You'll need to at least remove the hvac unit to get to the cigarette lighter and/or the radio if you wish to mount the satellite radio with your favorite homemade device. There are several posts on how to do this. You can find some pics here: http://www.carstereohelp.com/strvolvo.htm

Old 03-09-2006, 06:45 AM

Does anyone know if the PA11-VOL adapter will work in a 1999 S80 with an HU-611 radio? I've been looking around but that seems to be a grey area with that year and model. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:28 AM

What was the model number on the USASPEC adapter you used?

Also, will the OEM adapter also allow for aux input?

Can it be used without the ipod (only for Sat radio)?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Another update - PA11-VOL DOES WORK on the 2000 S80 for aux function. I did not try the ipod, cause I only bought it for aux, but I installed it on a 2000 S80 with the HU-611 and it works...

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM

I just bought pa11-vol from USA spec and tried to install in my 2000 s80 volvo hu-611 radio. single cd. I recieve CD error. I used the purple wire on radio to attach constant voltage (+). Can you assist.