Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Creaks and noises following detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaks and noises following detailing

Had my 2009 S40 detailed at my last maintenance service...they did a decent job and the interior is clean but I'm wondering if whatever conditioner they used is causing some rubbing.

Car seemed nice and quiet for a short time but now I'm getting a fair amount of creaks and noises going over bumps at lower speeds. It's hard for me to pinpoint the source but it seems like it's coming from near the driver's side B pillar. Almost sounds like something is loose but everything around the doors and the windows seem nice and tight.

I want to avoid a separate trip back to the dealer to deal with this if at all possible...are there any DIY fixes that this OCD person can try?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM

Bump...any suggestions? I know it's not a real mechanical issue, but the noises are pretty annoying, especially for a 1YO car that cost 30K new...and I really don't want to take several hours to wait on a dealer "fix" that I could do myself.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM

time to replace you suspension. that's what i have to do.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 AM

I would say they did a good job cleaning the car... but purhaps they didn't actually treat and protect the surface, or they wiped away grease that should be in place. Try putting protectant on the surfaces that should have it and re-grease the seat rails. Also you should get some Shin-Etsu Grease and rub it on all the door seals.

I would think doing that should solve the problem... and all of it will be good for the car.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
I would say they did a good job cleaning the car... but purhaps they didn't actually treat and protect the surface, or they wiped away grease that should be in place. Try putting protectant on the surfaces that should have it and re-grease the seat rails. Also you should get some Shin-Etsu Grease and rub it on all the door seals.

I would think doing that should solve the problem... and all of it will be good for the car.
Thanks...what type of protectant is recommended? Only thing that comes to mind is Armor All...and I don't want to make my plastic surfaces look shiny.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM

OK, so I put some 303 Aerospace protectant on the door seals and put some Shin-Etsu Grease on the upper window track. Seems like it's a little better but not entirely yet. Will apply the grease to the door seals (as recommended here) and will try to clean/grease the rear window track.

I noticed that there was some black stuff that came off when I applied the grease to the window track. What is this and did I make a mistake putting the grease there or removing this black stuff?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Default I give up...

Made sure I greased window tracks and door seals...car is quieter over bumps but it had no effect on the original noises I'm hearing.

Time to get it to the dealer...but I hate dragging it in just for "rattles" so guess I'll have to live with it until next maintenance visit.