General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

1998 s70 to 2018 v90??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 s70 to 2018 v90??

In 1998 at 38, I stretched and bought a car that was more of a car than I had ever had before. In 20 years, my S70 and I have see relationships, homes, and jobs all come and go, but the car and I kept rolling on. Now it is to to move homes again, this time from urban Boston to sub-urban Maine.

Now, at 58, I'm needing a new vehicle to carry me around from place to place.

I really like all of the driver assistive and other safety technology in the newest cars. Volvo does it again. I want as much of that as I can. In addition to driving around Maine with Dogs, I will probably be carrying bags of compost, occasional must have pieces of value or junk, tools, etc.

Here is what I'm thinking about a new 2018 car for me:

- XC90 - Sterile looking tank (Its a Volvo, right?)
- XC60 - Sterile looking mini-me tank
- V60CC - Close, but this is the last model year for this design
- V90CC - Maybe. Is this too big of a car? Is this too much of a dad car?

The word I hear most in reviews is "relaxing". That is kind of why I'm moving to Maine, so.... It does feel like a bit of a stretch financially, but so did the s70, and that has been the best car choice I ever made.

For safety alone, I will stay with Volvo.

So, for this forum, which is the better choice:

a) Go for the V90CC, I will get used to, and probably appreciate, the extra room. And yea, at 58 a dad car sounds a bit right.

b) Wait for the XC40. It should be available in the next few months, but is it too small...last thing I want in a Volvo is feeling vulnerable.

c) Wait even longer for the new V60CC. It is really the one that I want, a raised wagon with all the best technology that is a tidy in size, but still utilitarian.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm with you on the S70. Mine had to be let go last summer - AFTER my wife drove it, I drove it, my oldest learned ho to drive in it and took it through HS, and my youngest went through HS, college (out of state), and medical school. Kinda sorry I let it go to be honest.

Had a XC90, not a favorite. It's big and if you need that size then I guess it's fine though I wouldn't use it for towing anything except in an emergency. The XC60 is quite nice, pretty much as safe as the 90 and drives really well.

While I'm a CC fan (as opposed to my independent Volvo mechanic who swears that they are more prone to drivetrain issues than any other Volvo. true? I can't say if they are but he convinced me.) Personally I'd prefer the additional height of the XC anyway in snow.

So my favorite is the XC60 from your list.

As a side note, my wife really disliked the XC90 and since I have an old Tahoe that served as tower and big SUV, she traded it for an MDX. Honestly, better tech (build quality a tad below Volvo IMO) Safety wise it's pretty good (she sustained a rear ender - the idiot was going about 40 mph faster than her and it did everything we could have wanted it to). The thing is, it's snow/ ice handling is really outstanding. I'd look at one if I was you.