General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

1998 S70 Waterpump failure/Bent valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 S70 Waterpump failure/Bent valves

Hello all, my first post.

I have just pulled the head from my daughters 1998 S70 automatic and is non-turbo. After a catastrophic water pump failure, the timing belt jumped it's track and the result is many bent valves. I have sourced a wrecking yard head for $150. I plan to send it to a machine shop to make sure it is sorted.

Here is the situation. Car needs to last for two more years until she is finished with school. Car uses oil, a quart and a half between oil changes, and is other wise a nice car. (ps I wonder were the oil is going.....head or lower end?)

I see timing belt kits, that include water pumps and belts and idlers and tensioner's and such at various price ranges. I will also need all the gaskets for the head.

Where should I source the "timing belt kit" and should I get the $500 version? Also where should I get the head, intake, and exhaust gaskets. Also will need fuel injector o-rings.

Lastly, can I re-use the head bolts?

Thanks to you all in advance,

Shannon

Old 08-31-2013, 01:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FCP Groton or IPD are my first two choices for parts.

You're supposed to replace the head bolts.

You didn't say how many miles were on it and if you knew what the compression was before the H2O pump took a powder either. That info might help us guess where your oil was going. What kind of oil were you using (weight?)? Where are you in the world (hot, cold, mild weather, etc.)?

Oil in N/A can be used by:
  1. leaking,
  2. burned in combustion because of leaky valve guide seals (which will get renewed if you OH the JY head) and/or
  3. worn piston rings and/or pistons
  4. plugged PCV can contribute to oil use and blown seals too.