General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2002 xc 70

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 xc 70

Agonizing decision, need input. 2002 XC70, 83,000 miles, no loans, paid off, runs great except the transmission. Valve bodies are going bad, three tranny shops have recommended a rebuild to the tune of about $3,500. Now I notice the oil is registering two "stars/x's" down on the dipstick which I assume means it is two quarts short. I have driven the car lightly, not on the highway much with low RPM's, for 2,200 miles since the last oil change so it is burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so. No leaks anywhere that I can see but no blue smoke coming out the tail pipe either. Do I keep this car or get rid of it now? 83,000 miles and burning oil is extremely disappointing for a high quality bullet proof car. Could I have something else wrong besides a worn engine? Coincidentally (or maybe not so) the oil burning problem started after Jiffy Lube installed the wrong size air filter (too small) and the filter housing was full of debris upon the next check. Engine damage ? At this rate of oil consumption how much more life can I expect out of this engine? I can live with investing in a new tranny but if a new engine is needed in the next 30,000 miles or so I don't know. Help !!!! It is not a cut and dry decision since the car is paid for and replacing it would require a car payment !!!!! I am very curious what everyone would decide if they were in my shoes !!!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 AM

It is my understanding that the whole starred area on the oil dipstick represents about 1.5 quarts. If you are 2 stars down you may be only a half quart short. To accurately read the oil the car has to be on level ground and you have to wait five minuted after shutting it off to allow all the oil to drain back to the sump.

RE: your transmission. Have you flushed or changed the oil? Is yours one that could benefit from an updated B4 serve cover? There have been reports (online) of people nursing problematic transmissions another 40,000 miles after doing some basic service.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM

Have had the tranny serviced twice within the last 30,000 miles. The fluid seems to get brown and dirty pretty quickly. One shop that recommended a complete rebuild wanted $300 to do a flush but said it wasn't worth it due to the wear the tranny already had on it. If it is only a half quart short on engine oil I can probably chalk it up to being a motor that just has 83,000 miles on it. Should still make it to 200,000 miles I would think. I thought for sure that the owner's manual stated that each "x" on the dipstick represented one quart. Hopefully you are right as we love this car !!!! Would you recommend taking it to the dealer to make sure the tranny is getting flushed properly ?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:51 PM

I don't use a dealer unless it is a warranty issue or absolutely unavoidable. Fortunately I have above average mechanical skills, a full set of tools and was a professional auto mechanic two careers back.

If you do not possess the necessary skills, a sharp independent repair shop who specializes in Volvo would be my recommendation. Regardless whether it is the dealer or an Indie, do your due diligence first so you have an idea what has to be done and can separate their bullcrap from the truth. All the information you need is easily obtained online.

Yes I do have a poor opinion of of the auto repair industry. My opinion is based on my experiences when I was in the business and with the few dealings I have had with auto shops afterwards (like the $512.00 I just paid a Volvo dealer for 1 key and 2 keyless remotes).

Back to your trans. Are you sure they are using the correct fluid (Mobil 3309 or equivalent)? Are you sure they are doing the work? It is easy to do a drain and refill in your driveway. It takes a bit less than 4 quarts. Measure what comes out and put back the same amount of fresh fluid. Check it on level ground when hot after moving the shifter through the gears. Some folks speak highly of the Lucas additive. Me personally I avoid additives.

I recently purchased my V70 and the trans. was pretty good. Only an occasional harsh/sloppy shift or shudder off idle. The fluid was brownish but not burnt. I did a double drain and refill and plan to drain and refill every 15k to 20k miles.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the proper air filter in there, watch the oil (BTW the oil sump takes a bit over 6 qts. If it was changed with 6 qt. added it might show one or two stars down), drain and refill the trans. myself (maybe add the Lucas additive) and just run the car. See if the trans gets worse. See if it is really burning oil. You can always buy another car. Why not get as much out of this one as you can. A trans. rebuild should cost the same whether it is shifting poorly (today's condition) or totally dead.

Last edited by Mr. G; 02-13-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 AM

All great points. Thanks for the input. I have it in an independent shop today for a second opinion on the tranny as well as an analysis of the engine. We love this car so we'll cross our fingers that it will last another five years. I have basic mechanical skills so maybe it is time to take the time to do the maintenance myself. I will hop on here and let you know what they find today. Thanks again !!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Just saved myself a $150 engine analysis by buying the same brand and weight of oil and topping it off myself to see just how low it was and how much oil actually has burned off. Two "stars" on the dipstick = a 1/2 quart of oil, not one quart per star like the manual says. No engine troubles as a 1/2 quart burned per 2,200 miles seems normal to me. Next up is the tranny. If I can get by with a good flushing I will be set. More importantly we are keeping this great car. Thanks for the input and advice !!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Is the tranny slipping? What makes you think it's going bad?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Yes, it slips once in awhile and has a very obnoxious delay and "clunk" when shifting from reverse or park to drive. Fluid has been changed but it quickly turns brown and dirty. Quicker than it should that is for sure. I am going to give it a good flush and service and see how it goes before rebuilding.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM

A number of people speak highly of the Lucas oil "Transmission No Slip". It can't hurt to try it. If you can do drain and refills yourself, you can partially change the oil weekly, monthly, etc. Get a case of 12 quarts and do it each week for 3 weeks. Add 1/3 of the Lucas product each time. The trans. takes a bit less than 4 quarts when drained.

It's easy to drain the trans. on a set of ramps. Pep Boys had a graduated funnel with a clear hose that works well to add the oil (Maybe $5.00). A socket set and a drain pan and you are good to go.