General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2003 s60 sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
rjm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 s60 sunroof leak

Hello,
Was wondering if you could help me.I have a 2003 volvo s60 with 180k
I bought for my daughter.The drivers side floor mat has that dreaded leak
and have narrowed it down to sunroof drain,( when pouring water in drain,
it drains out but some comes inside and have seen it coming from behind hood release)
Have blown out the drains with compressed air.I have removed the A Pillar but there is
no drain hose there that I have seen on youtube video for s40. Is this tube behind metal frame
piece and unexposed as in other models, and if I remove the hood latch and carpet, do you
think I will be able to see the hose and possible leak?
Thanks for your help

Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Hello,
Was wondering if you could help me.I have a 2003 volvo s60 with 180k
I bought for my daughter.The drivers side floor mat has that dreaded leak
and have narrowed it down to sunroof drain,( when pouring water in drain,
it drains out but some comes inside and have seen it coming from behind hood release)
Have blown out the drains with compressed air.I have removed the A Pillar but there is
no drain hose there that I have seen on youtube video for s40. Is this tube behind metal frame
piece and unexposed as in other models, and if I remove the hood latch and carpet, do you
think I will be able to see the hose and possible leak?
Thanks for your help
I don't have specific knowledge of this model but in general the sunroof has plastic drain pipes going down some combo of the A, B, and C pillars. They can be damaged by in-experienced workers doing body repair (torches tend to melt plastic). Or the drain(s) could just be disconnected up at the pan.

If you can't find a diagram online of the sunroof drain pan and drains, then suggest you go to dealer parts dept and ask to look at their book/film of the exploded view of assembly. Should be able to at least find out where the drains are. Then it's a matter of pulling interior panels until you can see what/where the problem is.

BTW: Just one more reason why I hate sunroofs..

Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 PM
rjm

Hey GDog,
Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, the leak is in the hose some where behind the
dashboard, behind the fusebox.The hose runs behind the metal frame in back of
the A pillar, I thought it would be right behind that piece of plastic I pulled off of
there but low and behold, its buried. I just pulled up the entire drivers side carpet
tonight and had water poured into sunroof drain hole and sure enough,it came out
where it is suppose to underneath frame, but also piddled out inside above hood release
latch somewhere buried. I guess my only options are to pull off the dashboard and try to fix it, or maybe snake a smaller hose through the existing one . When it rains it pours!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by rjm
Hey GDog,
Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, the leak is in the hose some where behind the
dashboard, behind the fusebox.The hose runs behind the metal frame in back of
the A pillar, I thought it would be right behind that piece of plastic I pulled off of
there but low and behold, its buried. I just pulled up the entire drivers side carpet
tonight and had water poured into sunroof drain hole and sure enough,it came out
where it is suppose to underneath frame, but also piddled out inside above hood release
latch somewhere buried. I guess my only options are to pull off the dashboard and try to fix it, or maybe snake a smaller hose through the existing one . When it rains it pours!
I would pull the driver's side A pillar trim first and look behind there; shouldn't need to pull the dash (aka instrument panel or IP) to do that.
Oops; just re-read your first post; sounds like you already did that? There's got to be a way to get to the drain hose in the A pillar; can you post some pics?

With a little googling I found this thread; not the same exact model but should be similar enough to be instructive.
Swedespeed Forums - How-To:Sunroof drain repair

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by gdog; 03-01-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
rjm

Gdog,
I am going to run a small wire through it today and see if any more debris
comes out,it is definately draining out where it is suppose to but some is
trickling inside, which leads me to believe there is probably a hole or crack
somewhere. I will try and post some pictures today also for you to look at.
As I said, the hose is completely buried behind the metal frame (A pillar?)
that is under the piece of plastic trim I pulled off. Wish I knew the proper terms
for these parts. This guy made an excellant video on you tube,
(hope the post goes through ), but he has an s40 and of course the tube is right there to access,and mine has to be buried!.. I will try and get some pictures up today
and Thanks again .

Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Default Me too

rjm,

I have exactly the same problem in my 2004 S60, but on the passenger side. I too pulled the trim off the pillar and saw that the drain tube was completely inaccessible. I just poured water in and saw it coming out in two locations, in addition to the passenger-side floor. I'm taking it in on Monday for a power steering pump issue and am going to ask them to take care of it at the same time. I'll post again on Tuesday and let you know if it seems like something you can do yourself.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
rjm
Default good luck

guyboo,
Good luck with that and I hope they dont hose you too bad
on that, I'm curious to see what they charge you.
Gdog ,here are some pictures from the interior,

Name:  DSCN1840_zpsfed20a3d.jpg
Views: 7294
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1839_zps211915c3.jpg
Views: 4731
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1843_zps637027c0.jpg
Views: 5921
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  DSCN1844_zps727ddb71.jpg
Views: 2424
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  DSCN1841_zps7da71f1a.jpg
Views: 4457
Size:  68.0 KB

no access at all, and it appears to be in the area near the fusebox.
The one picture has the hood release laying there with a ruffled
rubber boot coming from the door with the electronic wires in it, this
is where the majority of the water that does come in comes from.
Dont really want to lay out $500 , $600 or more for this. If I cant
fix, maybe I will just silicone it shut and pull the fuse like I have seen
lots of people do. What a crying *** shame they have so many problems
with this and refuse to help customers out.Thanks again for any help anyone may have

Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
rjm

Guyboo,
wondering how you made out with your leak repair?
thanks,
rjm

Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 AM

Well I would go to the dealer (with your pics) and ask them how they would R+R that driver's side A pillar drain hose? Maybe you do have to pull the dash..

Can you actually see the drain hose in the A pillar through those holes on the interior of the pillar? If so, it must be fish it through via manipulation from the top and/or the bottom.

I did some googling too on this topic; all I found (for the most part) was some guy named rjm posting pretty much the same question on other sites...

Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Is that rubber grommet fully in place?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM
rjm
Default Sunroof Quagmire

Yeah that rjm guy is a pain in the ***!
yeah I can see it through the holes, it actually looks like the tube
is made of metal running behind the a pillar! What an absolute b buster.
One more desperate question for you or anyone else that may know...
Is there any possibility that if I remove the wiper arms and the piece that
is underneath the wiper arm (cowling?) ,that I would be able to access it from the engine side with the hood open ?
I know that this an '03 but I didn't think I would have to become a certified
technician and pull the whole car apart when I bought it for my daughter!
The silicone idea is starting to sound better with each passing day.
Again, thanks for your or anyone elses help.
rjm

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

There haven't been nearly as many problems with the S60 drains as there have been with the P1 and the XC90 (which is a different design, as you found out). Make sure the rubber grommet is fully inserted into the body. It looks like it isn't properly in place. If it is entering through where the wires go through the grommet, you can seal it with silicone and it should be fine.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by rjm
Guyboo,
wondering how you made out with your leak repair?
thanks,
rjm
rjm - Sorry for the delay. I just picked up the car this morning. Maddeningly, the guy forgot to look at the drain, and I didn't have time to wait when I picked it up. I drove straight to the hardware store and bought a 10', 3/16" drain auger for $3.99, and am going to give that a try tonight. Granted, it won't help if there's a major problem with the line, but if it's just plugged up with leaves, etc., I'm hoping it will do the trick. I'll post another update tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
rjm

Originally Posted by ES6T
There haven't been nearly as many problems with the S60 drains as there have been with the P1 and the XC90 (which is a different design, as you found out). Make sure the rubber grommet is fully inserted into the body. It looks like it isn't properly in place. If it is entering through where the wires go through the grommet, you can seal it with silicone and it should be fine.
EST6T,That grommet is a little crooked, I will straighten it out but my
question is that water will still be coming from somewhere that it shouldnt
be, correct? as in when I pour water into the sunroof drain hole, that should
all be in the drain tube and come out under the car shouldnt it?
Thanks again,
rjm

Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure it drains between the body and fender but honestly, since I've never seen a sunroof drain problem on an S60 or V70, I've never checked. The grommet doesn't need to be straight, just has to be installed fully. Pull it out and you'll see how it works.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 AM

If you can't find a diagram online of the sunroof drain pan and drains

Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
rjm
Default grommet

Originally Posted by ES6T
I'm pretty sure it drains between the body and fender but honestly, since I've never seen a sunroof drain problem on an S60 or V70, I've never checked. The grommet doesn't need to be straight, just has to be installed fully. Pull it out and you'll see how it works.
Hey ES6T,
I repositioned and seated the grommet both on the inside and outside and siliconed the hell out of both sides, am going to let the car sit outside tonight
with the carpeting still out ,as we are suppose to get a ton of rain in the northeast , and I'll see if any comes in, doesnt seem to now when i
pour water in the sunroof drain. I really dont understand why some water would come in before i repositioned this grommet, you would think it stayed in the tube all the way down to the bottom of the frame, but than again, maybe the tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom ...really wish i knew, but if this works ,who the hell cares.
Good looking out though,and thanks for your input

Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Default RJM: S60 sunroof leak follow-up

RJM or anyone with the same issue: Did you ever resolve your sunroof leak? My 2004 S60 just started leaking from the right rear sunroof drain. The drain line itself still flows but for some reason water drips out of where the white fitting (that the hose attaches to) connects to the sunroof drain pan. At this point I'm ready to follow your suggestion of permanently closing the sunroof, pulling the fuse and sealing it with silicone caulk. Has anyone done this successfully?