General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2004 XC70 transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XC70 transmission Problems

I have had trouble getting my car out of park and into gear. I was int Portland Or and had happen and had to physically shove it into gear...not pretty. This had happened a few times. Also couldn't turn the key far enough off to remove it, so lights were on. I eventually got into gear and drove to a Volvo dealer as I had called and the parts manager I think said it was probably plastic part the you pull up on the gearshift to put it into gear-he was right, it was broken. He said the key is also dependent on the transmission shifter and button working properly. They had a new gear shifter and I put in in according to instructions...which is not easy and weird the way it just pushes down into the tranny and is retained by a clip. I didn;t get it far enough in the first time as the shifter could spin. It would drive but I realized it would spin, so I redid it pushing further and harder down and made sure the retaining clip was in place. Seemed to be ok and worked..for awhile. It is doing it again now and the shifter seems solid...but it stuck in gear again and key wouldn't turn far enough to remove as before. I have never flushed the transmission as Volvo said not to...which seemed weird.I bought the car with 52,000 miles, no maintenance history and doubt tranny fluid had been changed. I have watched a few U tube videos on it and everyone claims vast improvements..not sure it will solve mine BUT If ANYONE has had the same problems and has a solution I would really appreciate it. I am going to try the tranny flush as well but still advice or opinions, solutions would be really appreciated