General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2008 S80 key in backwards

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 S80 key in backwards

Help. Needed to move neighbor's car (he's out of town) and placed the blade key in the slot backwards (valet key side is now inside) Car will not start and the key will not come out. It comes out about half way, flops around, but it is catching on something that will not let it release. Of course there is no room to see or get back there. Called dealer who said I needed to have it towed and the unit removed. Ouch!! I can't believe that putting it in backwards would cause this kind of damage or problem. Should simply not accept the key. Anyway, all suggestions or consolations will be appreciated. I should have remembered that no good turn goes unpunished.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Never heard of that problem but try a few things. I don't even know what those keys look like so I don't know how one can be put in backwards.

Put your foot on the brake. Make sure the car is all the way in park. Try to put the key back in and start the car, etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM

if u don't know the answer, then don't give out wrong information u don't even know what the key look like. With the OEM Volvo computer (Vida), there is a function where u could eject the key. u may want to try that first, but of how u get the vehicle there, u may need to tow it there.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ibanez958
if u don't know the answer, then don't give out wrong information u don't even know what the key look like. With the OEM Volvo computer (Vida), there is a function where u could eject the key. u may want to try that first, but of how u get the vehicle there, u may need to tow it there.
This is a forum, I can suggest any information I'd like. Did you give the CORRECT information? Are you a certified Volvo mechanic? As you may have noted, I did CAUSION the concerned party that I was not sure of their exact situation so they knew to proceed with causion.

If you are concerned with my suggestions you can alway PM me. Other than that, I will chime in where ever I feel like. That's what forums are for.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM

For your information, I m currently a Volvo Master Tech with a class A red seal standard certified tech & over 10 yrs of Volvo experience. you may check with any Volvo cert. tech to confirm if the information I gave it correct. Cause most of the info that I wrote u could refer back to Vida.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Well, good for you. I'm glad to hear that. It would have been great for you to give the guy advise when he was in a full blown panic 3 days before you chimed it.

Please take the time to make a signature and let people know that you are a professional and do know what you are talking about. Most of the people on this site are here because they NEED HELP and it is a good thing for someone that actually knows what they are doing to point them in the right direction.

Another situation that you may already know; many of the owners of these older cars are 1st time car owners and many can barely afford gas, let alone $135 per hour to fix a vacuum line or gas cap seal. So they come here in hopes to fix there car by a whim. When things were going fair to well for me, I took the car to the shop and paid a mechanic to fix it, yes I do know that many mechanics have kids in college too. But when things are tight and I can't afford to have it looked at by a pro, I have to figure it out myself.

Again, please take a few minutes and make a signature with your credentials so people will know you are giving good solid advise.

PS: Who is Vida? That's like telling a 5 year old that he need Thiamine.

Last edited by rspi; 03-02-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo