Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Tires on backwards

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires on backwards

I got a brand new set of Bridgestone Potenza G009's in June and when I got my oil changed yesterday, the guy told me that the front tires are on backwards. In other words, the tread direction is reversed. Stupid Firestone. I'm going back today to have this corrected, but want to ask the group if having a set of directional tires on backwards will shorten the lifespan of the tire, create uneven wear or any other nastyness. In other words, should I make a big stink about it and demand 2 new tires or should I just make them turn them around the correct way?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Tires on backwards

As far as I know and I might be wrong.
The only real thing it will do to the tires is make them Feathered. Sound loud while driving.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um, since they're directional, probly to channel water away from the center of the tire, allowing the tread to 'sink' for better grip. would having them reversed, channel the water inward, creating a traction problem? example, you cross a puddle at average speed with correct pattern, the water is channel out from underneath the tire, creating more grip, no problem. reversed, you cross the same puddle, the same speed, would it channel that water inward, and 'under' the tire? hydroplane is just where there is water molecules seperating the tire from the ground, i would think this would be a higher risk with water being forced inward / under the tire.

i wouldnt make a big scene about it, but i would definately ask for some sort of discount, or gift voucher or something, afterall, you are their customer, and word of mouth is the most influencial advertisement.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went in yesterday at 4:00 acting a little perturbed. Didn't make a stink, but made sure they knew I was upset about the whole situation. I inspected the tires myself and they seemed perfectly fine so instead of demanding new tires, I requested a longer warranty or something. They instead rebalanced the tires, put them on the correct way and gave me a free road hazard on all 4. I'm happy with that.

Went for a test drive after it was all done and it's incredible how much quieter they are now! Plus they handle much better and are more comfortable.