General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2010 Volvo V50 wagon, mysterious leaks and sloshing sound. Please help me obi wan.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Volvo V50 wagon, mysterious leaks and sloshing sound. Please help me obi wan.

Hi, I have a 2010 Volvo V50 wagon with the sunroof option. Its the wife's car, and ferries two carseata for our kiddos too. I've seen that Volvos get a bad rap for poor seals and leaks. There was a leak around the rear drivers side brake light assembly that led to water pooling up around the spare tire, I eventually ended up putting a thin bead of clear silicone all around the light assembly, dealership even with a certified pre owned warranty wouldn't touch it. Sunroof drains leak into both drivers side and passenger side footwells, I usually pull the panel off each side, pull out the hose from where it connects to the drain hose in the engine compartment and blow compressed air through the line, and this clears it up for a month or two. Again the dealership acknowledged this is a known issue and offered essentially the same service for about $120-150. No thanks. However today (it's the rainy season here in North Florida) wife found the footwear in the back seat on the passenger side soaked, and a sloshing sound when braking hard, I noticed that the sound is mainly under that same footwell. I thought maybe the window seals failed, and the doors or door panels filled with water on maybe the front or rear passenger aide, but no sloshing when I open those doors and swing them back and forth. It sound like water in a basin sloshing back and forth on a boat in rought seas (sorry, I'm in the Navy, so Navy analogies work). What's under this rear passenger footwear that could be full of water? I've never heard this sound before and I drive it a couple times a week, Im going to get the wife to spray the car with the hose while inside to see where the leak is coming from that's getting the footwear carpet wet. Any ideas from you folks on the sloshing sound? Any luck getting Volvo to repair factory seals? Thanks for your time, Steven

Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's probably the sunroof drains. The hoses shrink and don't fit fully into the elbows. I usually replace them and cut the new one a little long. I also recommend cutting the end off the elbows for better flow. This requires removing them and they can be pretty tricky to reinstall, so be warned.