General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

88(?) 780

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88(?) 780

Don't know anything about it other than it's not rusty, but I found a late 80's (I think an 88) Volvo 780 at a Volvo graveyard last weekend and since it seems to be a fairly rare find and depending on it's actual condition, I'm thinking of asking what they guy wants for it as it sits. I'm in the mood for a long-term project I have NO idea what these things are worth so I don't even know what to offer. Any ideas? Obviously it depends on the condition, but considering that it's in a graveyard, interior is decent and complete and I didn't see much of any rust at all (very minor surface at most), any thoughts as to where I should start?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 88(?) 780

Is that the two door model of the 760? They didn't make many of them at all. If I remember correctly they were a uni-body contruction and getting body parts isimpossible. Nothing from the 740/760 fits them.

If I were going into a project wtih a Volvo I would be looking for an 1800E. I have a feeling you would put money into a 780 and it would be worth less than what you put into it. Whearas the 1800 would be a collector's item. This is nothing more than my opinion though.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Don't know if it is or not, but I do know that it's a 780 badge, 2-door with a v6. I know the 1800's would be better, but I'd like something that is different. Plus I want something I can drop a Mustang HO 5.0 into. I guess I just need a project that's not my primary driver

In all honesty, I'm trying to find a 1977 Volare coupe to restore as that was my 1st car...

Old 08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would like a 69 SS396, but like that's going to happen. I think the 780 is a straight six which is the worst engine every made by Volvo.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 PM

All I need the engine to do is to get it where I'm going to work on it. If I'm able to do this, I'm pulling the engine and swaping in that Mustang 5.0 I mentioned. Either way, it has the 2.8l V6, not the il6. If the engine IS strong, I may just see if I can build that instead of an engine swap.

Just got off the phone with the guy. It's running, will pass inspection and will let it go for $1500, but I think I can get him down to at least $1200 or maybe even less as Edmunds says wholesale is $1048...

Now, to find a garage to work on it :\

EDIT::
Oh, btw, it's a '90, not an '88

Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 PM

One might sumise that the 780, in fact, is the more spectacular collectors item than the 1800 series. Truly, in the end, it will come down to the personal philosophy, pathology, interest, funding, and even loyalty to pedegree. The argument for another series, i.e. the 1800 series, is a bit on the subjective and perhaps superficial side. Not to utterly undermine one's opinion upon the matter; You see, I see that the practical purpose for the opting for the 1800 for the status quo's up-front conception of the 1800 series is a matter of greater antiquity market penetration and therefor a greater fiscal asset. I would imagine if one steps out of the bounds of the mere collection of Volvo antiquity for purpose based on a more popular standing via others' insights upon the differences between pale assets and a personal and unique piece of Volvo history, one may find that the 1800 is becoming more of a lame collection based on the over-stimulation of it's being in the antiquity item. In other words the 1800 is becomingless and less a Volvo-owners' vacation, and perhaps more just an after thought of how much money you'll get from it's supposed collection interest and/or value.

In simpler terms, the 780, is the true gem in terms of Volvo antiquity. If one was to invest in the re-conditioning of a Volvo choosing between the 780 and 1800, it is the investors choice. Indeed the 780 will be a more interesting, rare, exotic, faster, updated, and sexier Volvo if you put the time to restore it to spec or just to restore it for absolute operational acceptability. Personally I would rather go for the b230ft model, but as lon gas the b280 is the mark-III engine all is well. [sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear Sir,

I am rather impressed with the introduction of antiquity, rare models ever manufactured by Volvo of Sweden. Itwas also intriguing to read your point of view that containedinsight at different aspects.

To my regret, however, I am currentlyworkingin a horrible work environment, making just enough to pay the bills. I cannot even finance a tri-wheeled vehicles.....

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/A8B3255C47444FECB221DEBAFC2CC9AA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/2AB94CBDFF81405982F4E768A155013A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: VolvoDriver

One might sumise that the 780, in fact, is the more spectacular collectors item than the 1800 series. Truly, in the end, it will come down to the personal philosophy, pathology, interest, funding, and even loyalty to pedegree. The argument for another series, i.e. the 1800 series, is a bit on the subjective and perhaps superficial side. Not to utterly undermine one's opinion upon the matter; You see, I see that the practical purpose for the opting for the 1800 for the status quo's up-front conception of the 1800 series is a matter of greater antiquity market penetration and therefor a greater fiscal asset. I would imagine if one steps out of the bounds of the mere collection of Volvo antiquity for purpose based on a more popular standing via others' insights upon the differences between pale assets and a personal and unique piece of Volvo history, one may find that the 1800 is becoming more of a lame collection based on the over-stimulation of it's being in the antiquity item. In other words the 1800 is becomingless and less a Volvo-owners' vacation, and perhaps more just an after thought of how much money you'll get from it's supposed collection interest and/or value.

In simpler terms, the 780, is the true gem in terms of Volvo antiquity. If one was to invest in the re-conditioning of a Volvo choosing between the 780 and 1800, it is the investors choice. Indeed the 780 will be a more interesting, rare, exotic, faster, updated, and sexier Volvo if you put the time to restore it to spec or just to restore it for absolute operational acceptability. Personally I would rather go for the b230ft model, but as lon gas the b280 is the mark-III engine all is well. [sm=gears.gif]

Wow, that was way over my head. I'm pretty sure he is saying the 780 would be a better investment and impress us with his vocabulary at the same time.

This leads me into telling a story from my College days. I had been trained in Data Processing right out of High School, then joinded the US Navy for five years as a Data Processing technician and was always quite good at my job. When I got out of the Navy I went to workas a Computer Programmer for Fairfax County Public Schools just outside of DC where I had been stationed for the last three years in the Navy. I worked there for about three years then went to work for the Boeing company in Vienna, Va.

After a few years at Boeing my boss told me I was not going to go much further in my career unless I went to College and learned to write better. So I started going to American University taking two courses a week. What the heck Boeing was paying for it and I was collecting some money using the GI Bill. Well in order to get credits for work done I was required to take a writing course and some other course that I don't really remember all that well. I ended up getting 24 credits for past experience, which was very good for just taking two course.

In the first paper I wrote for the course I quoted my boss,the same one who told me I should go to College,who had a degree from Harvard,. When the instructor graded the paper hehad more criticism for the part that my boss wrotethan he did for what I had written. I went and talked to the professorafter class about it and he said something I will never forget and that was he could tell exactly what I was trying to say when he read what I wrote and that's more important than trying to impress somebody with your writing.

Oh yeah, the other course involved reading literature, like Candid, Madam Bovary and Metamorphisis. I would read the books, but could not understand what they were saying. Well I understood the story part but never got the meaning like other students did and it was actually ticking me off that they could get so much out of the reading and I just couldn't. So I went to the instructor again and just talked to him. He said something else I will always remember when I told him it was bothering me that people could get so much out of these books and Idid not. He said "You good in Math?" and I said "yes, very good" his answer was quite simply "then don't worry about it".

Whoa, sorry I got kind of carried away with the story telling there. Slow day at work.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 AM

hm hm, interesting...instead of getting mixed up in subjectivity, focus on the first post of this thread. The 780, what do you think?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM

As it stands, I'm at a loss at what to do. I've been doing some research and it seems that $1500 is a bit steep as I can get one in seemingly better condition for less. I *REALLY* want to get this model for its rarity and for the mere fact that it is a VERY attractive model. Hell, the seats look comfy as all get up!

I'm one of those guys who likes the rare things. I would LOVE to have a nice '69 Chevelle SS, but would rather have the '77 Duster which is slower and a little harder to find good parts for because of it's rarity. Know what I mean?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

I like the 780. It's a nice car for sure and very rare. I just wanted to let you know how hard it will be to get parts for it. Heck I bought my 95 T5R just because it is so rare and I really didn't need another car that is virtually the same as the one I have only in another color. There were only 187 yellow T5R's imported to the US.

Another story, what the heck:

I had a 69 Malibu not the SS396, but it was fast and would run right with the 396. It was a 350, two barrell, single exhaust with a Muncie 3 speed on the floor in that real nice blue color. Well one day the Gold Duster started messing with me. My car looked like a little old lady could be driving it and the Gold Duster was all jacked up with wide tires on the back and two square exhaust pipes coming out the back. It had a 340 in it, if I'm not mistaken.

Well anyway we took off from a light and I wasn't really trying, but when I realized he was I got on it a passed him. Next light I jumped him off the line and took him w/o much problem. He came up next to me and asked me what I had in it. When I told him he all but called me a liar. We literally pulled into a parking lot and I opened my hood and showed him.

I've always loved driving sleepers. I think that's why I like the 850 Turbos so much. I'll never forget the look on aguy's face in aCovvette when he looked over and saw there was a Volvo running right next to him.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 AM

lol volvo never put a inline 6 in a 7 series man are you sure you know volvo stuff>?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure? I always thought, even though I never had one, that the 700 series six cylinder was an inline six.

Now as far as them never having an inline six in a 760 that is not correct. My 85 760 Turbo DIESEL was an inline six made by VW.

By the way, I have no problem with somebody correcting me when I'm wrong, but no need to be such a jerk about it. Especially five months later.